Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 questions on canning potatoes

Posted by oldpot mi (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 0:17

new to pressure canning and few questions about canning potatoes ,

1/ i would love to can some banana fingerlings and other fingerlings potatoes that i growing are they good for canning???

2/ is it best to let them mature before canning wait until they got more harder skin on, then peel them , or can i dig them up (got some ready now and scrub the skins off them and then can them??,

3/i seen some post about you can boil them first or dry pack them so can you dry pack the potatoes without boiling them first seams easier to do it that way if you can ???

ty
oldpot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 questions on canning potatoes

anyone ??

o

They will have a better texture if you let them dry a bit after harvesting. All potatoes need to be peeled to prevent possible botulism. The botulism spores are mostly in the peel and just scrubbing is not enough.
The varieties you have are good for canning.
Potatoes are hot packed, not raw packed. Dry pack ? Do you mean raw pack ? No, not raw packed.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to can potatoes.

o

ty linda lou , yes i mean raw pack , so you cannot raw pack them ,?? ty on the advice about potatoes and link :).

o

No, not safely anyway. They need to be hot packed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here