Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

Old Mirro Canner

soonergrandmom
11 years ago

I have an old Mirro canner M-0512 and I see that parts are still available. I have never liked it much and I thought I saw that they were no longer recommended. Any knowledge or opinions on this one.

I'm thinking about a new Presto 23 quart as I like the deep canners much better.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

M 0512 is a 12 qt model so ok for pressure canning rather than just cooking since it will hold 4 qt. jars. And other than the problem of getting the weight in place after venting it has no real issues. If yours hasn't been converted to the 9898 pressure regulator and 9894 vent tube yet, do so now.

The recommendation you are referring to is directed at NEW Mirro models available since the company was sold approx. 4-5 years ago. Quality has declined as has the availability of parts. So if you plan to keep using it, the recommendation is to order all the spare parts for it now while available in case of future need.

If you do buy the Presto 23 qt then be sure to also get the 3 piece weight set (part 50332).

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: 0512 parts

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I love my 512! I actually prefer this style weight (mine has the disc shaped one with the 3 holes for 5, 10 and 15 lbs.).
    I want this weight on my newer 92022 (22 qt).

I love the ability to stack pints in the newer one, but the shorter 512 is easier for me to use in my house as I have an electric stove with a vent hood. Not much clearance to remove hot jars from the 92022.

JMO,
    Deanna

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

My older neighbor has used that canner for many years. It's true she can't stack jars in it and that makes for longer canning days, but somehow she's always managed. In their day, those were real workhorses of the canning kitchen and built to last - which isn't true of the new models.

I have the 522 which I am able to stack in, it's heavy on its own, unfilled :) My sis bought it new in the early '70s and passed it on to me when her family was grown. I wouldn't buy Mirro now if buying new, but I'll use this one until it needs a part I can't find.

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally dug mine out of storage today so I could look at it because I honestly didn't remember much about it except that it was short. I bought it new about 26-27 years ago and it is still in the original box but has been used many times. It does not have a gauge, but came with the pressure regulator when I bought it. It holds 7 quarts or 10 pints according to the box.

Dave, I think I will take your advice and order 2 or 3 gaskets, but I don't see anything else that can wear out.

At some point I will probably buy a new Presto canner, but now that I know mine is safe, I'm not in such a hurry to do it. I also need to set up a good storage place for canning equipment. I have canned much more than usual this year, but it has been things I could BWB like salsa, pickles, and jam. Last year my Oklahoma garden only produced what we could eat fresh because of our summer drought conditions and the only thing I made was Habanero Gold Jam. We are having worse drought this year, but the garden produced a lot before the drought got so bad.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

The lift pin assembly (9709) is the most fragile part so it wouldn't hurt to have a spare.

Dave

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES