Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmy0058

*recipe * Sweet Chow-Chow Relish

jimmy0058
16 years ago

One of the greatest places I have come across while driving a truck over the road is Abbot farms in south Carolina (http://www.abbottfarmsonline.com) I85 at exit 83 in Cowpens SC. Next to the Mister Waffle truck stop.

I picked up a couple jars of the chow chow relish and it was awesome, as was the peach ciderÂsomething that isnÂt even heard of here in Northern Ohio. A little research later and I found this recipe that just about compares it to the relish bought there. Its wonderful on hot dogs, itÂs a nice bread and butter pickle tasting relish with a unique texture. Now if I can only get find time to make a peach cider.

Southern Sweet Chow-Chow Relish

Ingredients:

5 - 6 cups shredded cabbage (about one medium head). I use the same grater to shred the cabbage that I do to make slaw.

1 cup sweet onions chopped fine

1 cup chopped green or red bell peppers (optional)(I used a 1/2 cup of both)

2 Tablespoons canning salt

Combine chopped vegetables and sprinkle with salt. Let stand 4 to 6 hours in the refrigerator. Drain well.

Combine the following ingredients and simmer 10 minutes. Use a pot large enough to put the vegetable mix in later.

2 cups vinegar

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons dry mustard

1 teaspoon turmeric

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

2 teaspoons celery seeds

2 teaspoons mustard seed

Add vegetables to vinegar-sugar-spice mixture and simmer another 10 minutes. Bring to a boil. Then pack, boiling hot, into clean, heated canning jars, leaving only a 1/8 inch head space. Place canning lids and rings on jars and tighten. I usually turn the jars upside down so that all the heat is on the seals. I don't turn them back upright until the jars are completely cool.

Yeild 3 pints

Comments (14)

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Please conform posted recipes to current safe-processing guidelines. Open-kettle canning has not been recommended for many years.

Carol

• jimmy0058
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry about that.
    I didn't use the open kettle method when I made it, insted I procesed it for 15 min's in a hot water bath. I should of stated that when I posted.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Thank you. That helps new forum members who aren't experienced canners.

Carol

• tucker303
    16 years ago

So..as a sorta beginner...would ya say to add 10 minutes to processing as I am in Denver? I follow the ten minute rule for some other stuff but always leery.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

This should help. As you can see, the time increases depending upon the altitude and also whether the product is boiling water bath processed or pressure canned.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning at High Altitudes

• tucker303
    16 years ago

Thank Carol..I am right on then for the BWB. I appreciate your help as I did last year!! You are kind.

• tucker303
    16 years ago

Another dumb question....I assume that the measurement are from a liquid measuring cup...right?

• readinglady
    16 years ago

It's not a dumb question. A cup is a cup. The difference is a liquid measure adds extra over the top so a full cup won't splash. (I hope that makes sense.) In a dry measure the edge of the cup is the full measurement.

So use a liquid measure for the vinegar and save yourself doing the tightrope act over to the bowl!

The easiest way to measure things like cabbage is to take, say a liquid quart measure, and pour in two cups of water. Then add cabbage until it reaches the quart mark. (Push down on the cabbage if necessary to see where the water reaches.) When the water reaches the quart mark, that's 2 cups of shredded cabbage. This is more accurate than other measurement methods when dealing with onions, etc. in canning. It's an old Farm Journal method. And it still works great.

I hope this makes sense. Let us know if you have other questions.

Thanks for the thanks. You're very welcome. It's a pleasure to help.

Carol

• tucker303
    16 years ago

And yet!!! Another question!

I have everything in the fridge waitin' for a few hours.

I saw a recipe using brown sugar....is this interchangeable with white as a general rule?

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Yes, brown is OK, as is raw sugar. Usually the differences have more to do with the granular size.

• tucker303
    16 years ago

Well I made this...mmm mmm mmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks everyone!

• jimster
    16 years ago

Tucker,

You now have one of the three ingredients for a delicious combination. Get some Southern peas (such as black eye peas) and make some cornbread (no sugar please). Put them all together with your chow chow for a tasty Southern treat.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Peas and Cornbread with Chow Chow

• jimmy0058
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Boy I wished I lived down south.
    I mean you can't even find a place around here that serves sweet tea!..LOL

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Now I'm remembering my dear step-mother. Cornbread and clabber milk. Collard greens with ham or bacon. Poke salat. Black-eyed peas. And sweet tea by the gallon (more sugar than tea, I think). Best fried chicken in the world (cast-iron skillet and wood stove) served with fabulous potato salad, cole slaw and Old Virginia Chow Chow.

Carol