Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gladgrowing

freezing corn mistake?

gladgrowing
16 years ago

Hope someone can assist - yet again!

It is late, and i have had too long of a day at both processing the bounty and driving great distances!

I erred in cutting my corn off the cobs, and containerized it without the blanching! egads. Can i go ahead and blanch it cut, or will i lose too much flavor and have a watery product? It is in the freezer- just in- but i'll take it out and refrigerate it until the word comes in, and can blanch in the morning if you think it will be adequate. Otherwise, i will cook it in dishes that don't rely on good corn flavor!

Thanks, you all are great help to so many of us here :)

Glad

Comments (16)

• superwife
    16 years ago

How about just steam it then freeze.

• dixielib
    16 years ago

Blanch it or it will "taste like the freezer". Doesn't take long, can be done in the micorwave. Heat it thru then cool it down rapidly, then pack and freeze.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Suggest that you remove it from the freezer, and blanch. Steaming isn't necessary until its actally eaten. Blanching stablizes the flavor prior to freezing. Once blanched, cut the kernals from the cobs to save valuable freezer space. If this is done early on, an odd taste may be present. When I cook it, I take out the cut corn to use what I want, and microwave it WITHOUT any added water. In this way, it cooks in its own water, and you are not diluting the flavor. Once cooked in the microwave, I drain, then add butter..

• gladgrowing
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all of you! I am so familiar with blanching - been doing this for probably 40 yrs, and know the routine, heehee. Just don't process stuff when toooo tired.
    I will try to rescue these 6 containers - but, there is still most of a large corn harvest yet to come, so we cannot lose much in the way of winter stores with the one!
    You folk are the best!
    Glad

• bcskye
    16 years ago

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I do not blanch my corn before I freeze it and haven't for the last 34 years. I haven't frozen it off the cob yet, but I shuck the ears and remove the silks. I then rinse, dip each ear in a mild bleach solution (please don't have a fit & quit reading the post) then rinse, dry and freeze. My husband is a heart transplant recipient and in our pre-transplant instructions, we were told that any fresh veggie or fruit had to be pre-treated in this manner (up to the drying) prior to preparing or eating. I'm also friends with the county health inspector and have taken the Serve Save classes. When I asked the CHI his opinion, he approved, only stated I could use less bleach than I had been. The corn tastes just like fresh to everyone I've ever served it to and I've never had freezer burn or a freezer taste. I do freeze all on the cob (vacumn sealed) because that is how we like it and I just cut the corn off my one cob onto my plate after cooking. Of course, when I cook it, it is boiled 'til done to our preference. This year, however, I plan to put a lot up for adding to other dishes so I will be pre-treating it, then cutting it off the cob, vacumn sealing it then freezing it or will eliminate the vacumn sealing and just canning it.

BTW, DH is two years out from his transplant as of the 17th/18th of this month and has remained in 0 rejection since about the second month out. The only time I almost lost him was two months ago when he came down with a virus that he did not catch from our food prep.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I am so glad to hear your husband is doing well. That's interesting about sanitizing with the bleach solution. What strength do you use?

Carol

• cbaker_2006
    16 years ago

Hello FWIW 2 years ago I froze
    several doz. ears of corn in the shuck, I removed all but 2-3 layers of the shuck, pulled off silks,put 8-12 ears in plastic groc. bag, & in freezer. Just recently ate the last of it. It was still very good, & no ill after effects. I am not recomending this, just saying that it works for me, cbaker_2006

• bcskye
    16 years ago

Carol,

I was using about a capful of bleach from a quart sized bottle for about a gallon of water and my DH was using about 1/4 c. LOL! He still had the tremors from the medications. Our County Health Inspector, John, told me to use just about 5 drops per gallon of water. I still use more, but make sure I really rinse well. Also, we are on a well and we've always bleach treated our water storage system. I was the only one in our ServSafe (proper spelling) class that actually sanitized my kitchen counters and table with a bleach solution before I even took the classes. I use the same technique when freezing green beans - no blanching, just washing, sanitizing, rinsing, drying then freezing and placing in vac sealed bags. They are delicious and no one can tell they aren't fresh beans.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Some corn varieties are super sweet and this may be the reason you have good success with freezing without blanching. I do not like the super sweet types (sh2) or even sugar enhanced (sh). These to me, have way too much sweetness almost like they were coated with sugar. My preference is gold old plain yellow corn, and once its picked, its shucked in minutes, blanched and cut from the cobs, then frozen. To me, it tastes really good. A few years ago, when I grew a lot of brocolli, I didn't blanch. BIG mistake as all the green buds broke off and there was nothing left but some tiny green bits and stalks.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I sanitize my counters with a bleach solution also.

Maybe that solution interferes with the enzymes that cause deterioration similar to blanching and shocking? It would be interesting to know the cause.

Good luck to you and your husband. My DH and I have been going round-and-round with the VA for years. We have a claim for Agent Orange exposure. Not much luck dealing with the system (I think we're on appeal #6 now.) but it's become a matter of principle to stick with it. I think it was round #4 they finally decided he needed to prove he was in Vietnam and round #5 they said he wasn't diabetic, even though he's under treatment for it at the VA hospital here. Talk about Catch-22.

OK, I've gotten off-topic. I'm glad you've found a pre-treatment method that meets your DH's needs and is also convenient.

Carol

• kayskats
    16 years ago

Carol,
    It's not just a matter of principle, it's a matter of RIGHT. And believe you me, it's the squeeky wheel that gets the attention.
    I was, and am, opposed to both wars, but I am also incensed with the treatment the wounded from Iraq are recieving and continue to lament the lack of treatment for Vietnam vets.
    Go get, 'em.
    Kay

• bcskye
    16 years ago

Ken,

Wow, you're right about the broccoli. I wouldn't dream of freezing it without blanching it first. I never got the super sweet or the sugar enhanced corn until last year when a neighbor who has come from a farming family and is a farmer herself sold me some corn called "You Got To Have It" or something very similar. It is unbelievably sweet and my husband doesn't really care for it. I don't know why the non-blanching works for me and others I know, it just does. When it doesn't, I will start blanching it again.

Carol,

I will send you an email with my email address in it and will try to help get your DH through getting his disability fight with the VA settled favorably. We have been down this same road only with a different problem. Everyone we know that has been in Vietnam and now has diabetes is receiving a disability due to the fact that the VA has proven the Agent Orange=diabetes. Will not go into it anymore in this post, but I will get info to you. This is very important.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

I actually threw out that last bag of that overly sweet corn I grew two years ago. I had mixed in some of laste years regular corn to dilute its taste a little, but after cooking a batch last night, and not even finishing it, I fed the garbage disposal the rest. Ugh, it was way too sweet, and was not enjoyable at all. I suppose it would have held up for several days after picking, as thats what some people like, only because the sugar 'over compensates' the true flavor, but mine was all picked and frozen the same day. Next year its broccoli and more regular corn.

• gladgrowing
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I appreciate all your input, folks!
    bcskye 5, wishing you and your DH many more good years together - in better health - so you can enjoy canning/freezing/processing the bounty and many more things together!
    Glad

• hemogoblin
    15 years ago

The drops of bleach isn't for sanitation. You add those to lower the pH of the water. The lower pH shuts off the chemical trigger that converts the sugar in the corn to starch.

Thus preserving the corns sweetness.

A drop of lemon juice is needed too. Or you can just watch the video. He talks about it at around the 7 minute mark when describing ways to preserve corn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ear Apparent Part 1

• zabby17
    15 years ago

I have frozen corn without blanching it, and it tasted fine when I ate it. (It was picked that day, and I put serving-size batches of kernels into quality freezer bags, sucked out the air, and sealed.) We like our corn very lightly cooked---no more than about three minutes' cooking---so I was reluctant to cook it even a little before freezing. I did some that was blanched, too, and tasted no difference. Just my own experience, with very fresh corn.

Zabby