Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Can I can this tomato salsa recipe?

sue_ct
14 years ago

I made this tonight and really enjoyed it.

2 medium tomatoes

2 Tbl chopped red onion

1 chopped Anaheim pepper

1 clove minced garlic

2 teaspoons lemon juice (misread this and used 1-2 tablespoons, still good)

1/4 tsp salt

2 tablespooons chopped cilantro or parsley

The peppers and parsley were also from the garden, if that matters.

By the way, does anyone know if lime juice can be used to raise acidity in place of lemon?

Sue

Comments (9)

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Yes, bottled lime juice can be used instead of lemon. Citric is OK too. Cilantro will lose all taste unless this recipe is made fresh and used up within a day or two. Parsley is quite different compared to cilantro, even though they look similar. Cilantro is quite volitile and looses smell and flavor very quickly. The original recipe without the increase of lemon juice is quite low in acid. This recipe may not be safe to can.

• melva02
    14 years ago

I would never try to can a regular salsa recipe. It's more of a high-risk product because of all the low-acid ingredients and the fact that you eat it from the jar without reheating.

I would find a similar recipe that's designed for canning, and you can make certain safe substitutions. I prefer lime juice in salsa.

Was this an uncooked salsa? Sad to say, you can't really get that texture in a canned salsa, which must be cooked and hot-packed, then processed (usually BWB which means the required acid is especially important). You could freeze the salsa, but even that will change the texture of the tomatoes. You might have to make a lot now while it's in season and just enjoy it while you can.

Melissa

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, this was an uncooked salsa. I used parsley, the recipe said parsley or cilantro and I don't have cilantro in the garden. I don't mind the increase in lemon juice. I just thought the ratio of approx. 1 tsp per medium tomato would be high enough. I just want to use the tomatoes in whatever way will preserve the taste of home grown tomatoes the best. I am not doing it to save money, as I will only can a small amt and the cost will not be a savings, at least not the first year after buying the basic equipment for using the water bath method. If it just tastes like what I buy in the cans for sauce in winter, I probably won't do it again. But I do have a few nice heirloom tomato plants that are producing more than I can currently eat.

Sue

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

This is a cooking recipe, not a canning recipe. Only safe, current recipes designed for canning from a reliable source should be canned. Otherwise you put yourself at a risk for botulism.
    Bottled lime juice or bottled lemon juice is used in some recipes. It is twice as acidic as 5 % acidity vinegar. You can always use bottled lemon or bottled lime juice where vinegar is called for, but never use vinegar in place of the bottled lemon/lime juice. Bottled juice is used since it has to meet an acidity standard to be sold. Fresh lemons/limes vary in acidity and will not be strong enough for safety.
    I am sending you a link to information and recipes.
    If you want your salsa recipe it needs to be frozen. Just plain tomatoes without any other added low acid things will take 1 Tablespoon of bottled lemon juice to process them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Safe salsa preserving.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

I see no difference in the above recipe as far as cannng or fresh if you compare it with the more complex Annie's Salsa. It has a balance (actaully less) of the low acid ingredients compared to its high acid additive.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Sue what it all boils down to is your choice, your risk to take.

CAN you can it? Sure, if you want to but you would have to quadruple the recipe to make it even close to worth while so it will be very different due to the cooking and processing.

Is it or can it be recommended or approved to do so? No, sorry, too many variables.

Would it be safe to do so? With the higher levels of bottled lemon or lime juice, maybe, but no way to know for sure.

Best bet is to make and freeze it.

Dave

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, everyone. I guess I will try freezing it. I think the tomatoes may be too mushy to be palatable after freezing but I am going to give it a try. I am averse to risk where botulism is concerned, thanks. Regarding the canning recipes, does it taste fresher than store bought after canning or is just frugal to make and and can your own?

Sue

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

does it taste fresher than store bought after canning or is just frugal to make and and can your own?

Heavens yes! There is no comparison in flavor and frugality be...darned. ;)

Dave

• melva02
    14 years ago

Sue, it is fresher and you get to make it how you like, BUT, no cooked salsa is going to taste like a fresh salsa with raw tomatoes. Unfortunately that is a fleeting summer pleasure that's hard to preserve.

I would freeze a small amount first, because I agree that you might not like it, especially if it's uncooked. The tomatoes will give off lots of juice as they thaw. A day or two is enough to give you the idea. Hope you find something you like!

Melissa