Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksprairie_gw

canning grapes

KSprairie
12 years ago

I have a few questions regarding canning grapes. A friend gave me about 8 lbs of ripe Concord grapes and a recipe for grape juice today. She cans the grapes whole (cold pack method) and then after 6 weeks opens the jar, strains the liquid and adds equal part water and enjoys the juice. I don't know if they eat the grapes or not, but would assume so. I was going to use NCHFP Hot Pack method for canning grapes whole. However, it does say to "Choose unripe, tight-skinned, preferable green seedless grapes..."

If the quality of the grapes after canning is not important to me, would ripe Concords be an acceptable substitution?

Do you think waiting 6 weeks b4 opening is critical for the full development of flavor?

And lastly, does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not it would be OK to puree the grapes, strain out seeds, and make fruit leather out of them after you've taken the juice off?

I guess I do have one more general canning question. When I read recipes posted here on this forum and a processing time for BWB is given, (say 10 minutes), it is understood that it is 10 minutes at sea level, is that correct?

Thanks!!

Comments (3)

• planatus
    12 years ago

I think the more common practice is to place 1 cup clean concords and one-half cup sugar in scalding hot quart jar, fill with boiling water and process in a water bath.

Personally, I prefer to bring a pot of clean grapes to simmer with just a little water, smash with potato masher, and simmer 5 minutes or so, then strain out juice through cloth and can that. Sweetened or not, it can be mixed with water and drunk quite nicely.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

When I read recipes posted here on this forum and a processing time for BWB is given, (say 10 minutes), it is understood that it is 10 minutes at sea level, is that correct?

Yes unless otherwise indicated.

Not familiar with the recipe your friend provided so can't comment on its use but yes, you can sub Concord grapes for white in the NCHFP instructions. Since juice is your goal anyway why not use the NCHFP directions for canning grape juice rather than the one for canning grapes?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Grape Juice

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I chose to can the grapes whole using NCHFP's "Grapes Whole" recipe mostly due to time constraints. The NCHFP Grape Juice recipe said to strain the juice off then let it sit for 24 to 48 hours before pouring off the clear liquid and processing. I won't have time to can the juice in that time frame, so I needed to get them processed today.

If I am blessed with more Concord grapes at some point, I'll be sure to try the NCHFP Grape Juice recipe. It sounds great.

Thank you both for your help.