Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian6464

Help with my attempt to make hot sauce

brian6464
9 years ago

While I have followed tested canning recipes for salsa and pickles, I have never attempted hot sauce. I have an abundance of peppers, so thought I would give it a try.

Just to be clear, I did not intend to make a shelf stable product. I'm only in the phase of trying to find something I like first and then I will scale it out.

I have two main questions:

1) The sauces turned out really thick to the point where I will have to dig them out of the bottles. Is this from boiling or blending too long? Not enough liquid? Combo of the two?

2) Assuming it was wise to invert the bottles after filling, I noticed I had air pockets as the thick sauce settled. Again, not intending it to have a long shelf life. It will be stored in the fridge. Is there any reason that either of them will not last up to 30 days based on the recipes below? Are the air pockets a real problem?

Air pockets in my Mango-Pineapple Fatalli sauce.

Both sauces.

Mango Pineapple Fatalli sauce
10 Fatalli Peppers
28 oz Mango (diced)
3 oz Carrot (chopped)
6 oz Onion (chopped)
15 oz fresh Pineaplle (chopped)
1 Cup White Wine Vinegar
1/2 Cup Lime Juice
2 Tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup Agave Nectar
1 Tsp Garlic (chopped)
2 Tsp Ginger (grated)

Bring to boil and then simmer covered for 30 minutes. Simmer uncovered for another 15 to remove excess liquid. Blend in blender to desired consistency, let cool and bottle.

This sauce is sweet with a slow burn, not an intense kick in the face. Since it is so thick, I'm leaning towards cutting up another pineapple, mango, onion and some spices and then combining with this "slurry" to make a fruit salsa to eat immediately.

Caribbean Red Hab Sauce
6 Red Habs
2/3 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped carrot
5 cloves garlic
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp honey
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1.5 cups water
2 tbsp. lemon juice

Combined ingredients and simmered for 20 minutes. Blended for two minutes. Simmered for 10 minutes. Blended for two more minutes. Bottled.

Really thickened up in the small bottles. Not the consistency I was looking for.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!