Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with my attempt to make hot sauce

Posted by brian6464 4a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 0:53

While I have followed tested canning recipes for salsa and pickles, I have never attempted hot sauce. I have an abundance of peppers, so thought I would give it a try.

Just to be clear, I did not intend to make a shelf stable product. I'm only in the phase of trying to find something I like first and then I will scale it out.

I have two main questions:

1) The sauces turned out really thick to the point where I will have to dig them out of the bottles. Is this from boiling or blending too long? Not enough liquid? Combo of the two?

2) Assuming it was wise to invert the bottles after filling, I noticed I had air pockets as the thick sauce settled. Again, not intending it to have a long shelf life. It will be stored in the fridge. Is there any reason that either of them will not last up to 30 days based on the recipes below? Are the air pockets a real problem?

Air pockets in my Mango-Pineapple Fatalli sauce.
 photo Sauce1.jpg

Both sauces.
 photo Sauce2.jpg

Mango Pineapple Fatalli sauce
10 Fatalli Peppers
28 oz Mango (diced)
3 oz Carrot (chopped)
6 oz Onion (chopped)
15 oz fresh Pineaplle (chopped)
1 Cup White Wine Vinegar
1/2 Cup Lime Juice
2 Tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup Agave Nectar
1 Tsp Garlic (chopped)
2 Tsp Ginger (grated)

Bring to boil and then simmer covered for 30 minutes. Simmer uncovered for another 15 to remove excess liquid. Blend in blender to desired consistency, let cool and bottle.

This sauce is sweet with a slow burn, not an intense kick in the face. Since it is so thick, I'm leaning towards cutting up another pineapple, mango, onion and some spices and then combining with this "slurry" to make a fruit salsa to eat immediately.

Caribbean Red Hab Sauce
6 Red Habs
2/3 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped carrot
5 cloves garlic
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp honey
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1.5 cups water
2 tbsp. lemon juice

Combined ingredients and simmered for 20 minutes. Blended for two minutes. Simmered for 10 minutes. Blended for two more minutes. Bottled.

Really thickened up in the small bottles. Not the consistency I was looking for.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with my attempt to make hot sauce

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 19:17

Not nearly enough liquid. I'd double it at least.

I don't think 30 day fridge shelf storage would be a problem given all the acid but that is a lot of sauce to use up within 30 days. I'd freeze most of it and I'd sure try to get rid of that air in the future. If you decide to freeze it, remove several spoonfuls and replace caps loosely so there is room for expansion while freezing and then screw on caps.

Dave

o

If you keep them in the fridge they should last for at least 30 days or longer. Next time you might try running them through a food mill to get out the pulp. I made some Cayenne hot sauce and ran it through a food mill and it came out liquid and was just fine.

o

Appreciate the info.

Dave - Since I have 3 bottles of the Mango Pineapple, I will leave one fresh, freeze one and experiment with one.

Whey you say not nearly enough liquid, are you suggesting anything in particular? Vinegar/Lime Juice? Water? Fruit Juice?

Come to think of it, the recipe actually did call for a 15 oz can of pineapple rings in juice. I used 15 oz fresh pineapple with no added juice, so that would explain some it. The OP of the recipe even said his turned out thick using the pineapple rings in juice.

If I dump one bottle into a sauce pan and mix additional juice, bring to boil and rebottle, would that present any problems? I'm assuming not since it has only been bottled for 24 hours at this point and I would still plan on using within 30 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here