Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
4hleader

Mostarda recipe?

4hleader
11 years ago

Hi all! I recently bought some mostarda from a local farmers market and it's great. In this case, the farmer has a commercial kitchen and produces her condiment in a standard (grocery store type) jam jar. But at $8 for 9 ounces, I thought that it would be worth it to try making it myself.

I did a couple web searches and didn't find anything that seemed definitive when it came to canning safety. Does anyone know of a tested recipe?

Thank you!

Comments (7)

• James McNulty
    11 years ago

You are not going to find an approved recipe for and Italian traditional specialty made from fruit, sugar, and mustard oil. There are probably a thousand ways to make it as its first ingredient is "fresh fruit". It is the sweet treatment and its inclusion of "mustard essence" that makes it a unique regional Italian dish. Oh yes, Italians do not all eat the same thing in most cases. They all a have very different history when it comes to food preparation so this dish will probably not even be "Italian" but a dish from a region of Italy. Outside most regions, Italians have never heard of something eaten by fellow Italians 100 miles to the north or south. They have their own specialties.
    Anyway, if I were set on making it,because I enjoyed it, I would make it without worry.

That said, find a recipe you like and try it. You would be using fresh very acidic fruit and tons of sugar so it would be like a jam that carries no risk generally except molding if not processed properly.

Jim in So Calif

• malna
    11 years ago

I did find one in Fancy Pantry, but just for refrigeration. Possibly due to the fact that mustard can lose its heat and flavor when heated (in a BWB for instance), there aren't any home canning recipes that I could find in a quick look through my books. I can post that recipe if you like.

Ii sounds very much like a form of chutney - perhaps you could tweak a chutney recipe? Never having tried mostarda, I have no idea what it is supposed to taste like - sounds delicious, though :-)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Agree. Unique and/or strictly regional or ethnic foods like that can't justify all the costs associated with lab testing and recipe development. The interest in it or the demand for it just isn't there even if the funding existed.

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Mostarda keeps so well and long in the refrigerator and is normally consumed in such small amounts (as a condiment), I'd just make a batch as needed and refrigerate.

I do have two recipes for canning. Neither calls for mustard oil and neither has the kind of ingredients that would cause concern. However, I still wouldn't do it for the reason mentioned - loss of character. In fact, one recipe specifies low-temperature pasteurization only.

Some things are not worth the expenditure of time and effort to can and this seems to be one of them. Actually, with the cost of jars, time, utilities and ingredients, I'm guessing the seller has minimal profit, even with a 9-oz. jar.

Carol

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I just looked at the Fancy Pantry recipe. It is "cannable" though as it's dense I'd probably use a mincemeat processing time (I mean a fruit mince - meatless) rather than a sweet preserve time.

However, I still don't think it's worth it. That recipe calls for dried and candied fruits, so it's not season-dependent and could easily be made any time of year.

Carol

• 4hleader
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your great feedback. I think I'll treat it like milk from the farm: wonderful and thankful that someone else will take the time, care and effort to produce it for us consumers. :)

• 4hleader
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Saw a recipe for mostarda featured today on punkdomestics.com!

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach Mostarda

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus