Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Juice in Apple Pie Filling

Posted by OldHippieMomma none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 2:02

Quick question - do you use just water when you make apple pie filling or do you use both water and apple juice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Juice in Apple Pie Filling

Both. 2 1/2 c water and 5 c apple juice for the 7 qts. recipe.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Canned apple pie filling

o

Just apple juice, no water.

o

Same as Dave. But no safety issues using all juice.
It'll be a little sweeter.

Deanna

o

Is the juice or water needed for safety? If I were making apple pie from fresh apples, I would not put liquid into the filling, the apples are juicy enough.

How do fresh apple slices canned in water per the NCHFP instructions hold up to processing? Are they mushy?

Thanks,
Cheryl

o

Apples canned in water are very blah. Poor texture, color and little flavor. A real waste of good apples IMO.

The NCHFP recommendation is hot pack (no raw pack) in syrup or at least use apple juice. But canning apples and canning apple pie filling are very different things so yes, for canned pie filling the water and/or juice are required. It is the liquid that facilitates the heat transmission.

Dave

o

Dave - when you use the canned apple pie filling, do you drain off the liquid? I have seen recipes that call for Clear Jel to be included in canning, and many posts on this forum (including from you) which say to reduce or eliminate the Clear Jel. I don't like my pies to be filled with starchy goo.

Cheryl

o

Cheryl - I suppose you could drain it, at least part of it. Keep in mind the canned apples are cooked now so they won't contain anywhere near the moisture the moisture a fresh apple sliced for a pie would. All the liquid is now in the canning liquid so you'd want some of it at least I think.

We like all the goo so when we open the jars wife dumps them into a pan re-heats it all and stirs in the cornstarch or tapioca we prefer for thickening then into the pie shell for baking. It looks just like the canned apple pie filling you would buy only tastes better.

Dave

o

Dave, thank you. Good to know.

Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here