Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepper_rancher

Facts on using alcohol as preservative?

pepper_rancher
16 years ago

From a post I read, I understand that alcohol can be used as a preservative (peppers)...

Does anyone have any data about this?

What proof alcohol should be used...

What I would need to test for to make sure it was preserving safely.

Any informational links or personal experience etc. etc.

On a completely unrelated tangent... what would happen if I dehydrated a pepper to get all of the water out, and then put it in vodka... would it soak up more of the alcohol that way?

Comments (16)

• tucker303
    16 years ago

Good question that I do not have the answer to...but I put some vanilla beans in vodka, forgot about them and two years later, is it still good? I think yes but....

• readinglady
    16 years ago

No, the vanilla vodka after two years isn't good. It's better, LOL.

Carol

• triple_b
    16 years ago

So what happens if we soak OURSELVES in vodka? Eternal youth?

• jimster
    16 years ago

That's known as getting pickled.

Jim

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

I'm a couple of years behind ya Tucker!
    I just put my vanilla beans in vodka about 4 weeks ago.........

Getting pickled doesn't sound all that bad......

Deanna

• triple_b
    16 years ago

I can think of worse ways to go.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

just be sure you use the good stuff ...

• mellyofthesouth
    16 years ago

My vanilla beans in vodka will turn one in November. Although I confess to topping up mid-year. It does keep getting darker.

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

I sure don't have any information on doing this. I would contact Elizabeth Andress at the National Center for Home Food Preservation if I were you. She is considered the leading authority on safe home food preservation. She is a very gracious lady and willing to answer all questions via email.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Melly,
    Did you "top up" yourself or the vodka bottle??? Both?

Hee hee........

DARFC
    Deanna

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds like a good idea linda lou... Do you have that email address handy?

Thanks for the tip :)

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

Just click on where it says information request form on this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Information request form.

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I contacted them and recieved an answer today...
    >>>"
    Thank you for visiting the National Center for Home Food Preservation.
    > You were highly recommended when the message boards at gardenweb could not provide the information I was looking for. I am looking for information about preserving vegatables (peppers) in alcohol.

I am sorry, but I am not the source for this information. We do not recommend preserving peppers in alcohol, and have no experience nor have we seen any research to support doing this safely.
    USDA has not recommendations for preserving foods in alcohol, and we follow USDA recommendations.
    In my literature searches I have never seen this researched with public information and guidance available.
    Sorry! Our recommendation is to not do it, and to use the available properly tested methods of preservation for peppers or any vegetables.
    Elizabeth Andress
    >>"

• kayskats
    16 years ago

I pulled out a beautiful book I bought several years back: "Preserved", printed in England, It briefly covers all kinds of preservation from smoking to air exclusion -- potted shrimp anyone?. They do a lot of things frowned on (or downright advised against) by the USDA and NCHFP.
    But what they do NOT do is give any information on preserving VEGETABLES in alcohol. Some great sounding fruit alcohol-preserved recipes, but no low-acid foods in alcohol, just in various kinds of vinegar.
    I wonder if the preservation qualities of booze evaporates with heat along with the alcohol.
    Maybe short-term refrigerated marination in alcohol?
    Kay

• fedup321
    16 years ago

My Grandpappy put plums and damson and other fruit in his white lighten' and had no problems preserving it......

• 3dcakes.com.au
    11 years ago

I found this page really helpful answering the same questions you asked above. I relise that I am 6 years behind you... but better late than never :)
    http://www.dweckdata.com/Published_papers/Natural_Preservative.pdf

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!