Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freeze cucumbers - make relish later?

Posted by dancinglemons 7B (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 3:23

Hello all,

I've frozen lots of veggies/fruit and made jam and such later when I had time. I wonder if cucumbers can be frozen and later used for making pickle relish -- which will be canned?

DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freeze cucumbers - make relish later?

Cucumbers are 90% water. Freezing ruptures the cell walls. When thawed they will be VERY mushy so the relish will be quite soupy. Draining the thawed cukes prior to use will help some but the total amount will have to be increased to compensate.

Using pickling cukes rather than slicing cukes will also help as they have much less water in them.

Try freezing and then thawing a couple to determine if you find the end result acceptable.

Dave

o
RE: Freeze cucumbers - make relish later?

Thanks Dave! I kinda thought that was the case but with pears, beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and figs - I am out of hands (only came with 2). Tomorrow the relish goes on the stove!

Cheers,
DL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here