Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Passion Fruit?

Kippy
10 years ago

Hi,

My first time posting on this forum.

We have an abundance of passion fruit. Rather than process to make jam, I was wondering if any one had a recipe to make a syrup with just the separated juice from the fruit safe for water bath canning (half pint jars)

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

If you want to make it from juice only then use the Mayhaw Juice Syrup instruction.

If you want to make it from pulp and juice then use the Berry Syrup instructions instead. Sweeten to taste.

Dave

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave

I had looked at the Mayhaw recipe and thought I would follow that one. In the past I have used the plump from the shells, but it is kind of bitter and needed a lot of sugar to counter the bitter after taste and is very laborious!

• pqtex
    10 years ago

I don't know what it tastes like, but I would try making juice and canning it, too. I have done that with mayhaws, blackberries, pears, dewberries, etc., The tart juices like mayhaw may need some sugar added, but I often add a pint or a quart of the juice to a gallon of tea to make a really nice fruit tea. There's just so much jam and jelly we can use, but I love the juices. Passion Fruit is supposed to be very healthy for you. The blooms are edible also. I have plans to add them to our homestead.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help.

I tried the Mayhaw recipe last night, out of 2 gallons of whole fruit, I got 5 half pints of the syrup. Just an FYI for anyone wanting to grow passion fruit, it takes a LOT for just a little.

Do you think if I cut the sugar in half it would be safe? I will probably end up using this to flavor ice tea for parties, but it is really too sweet.

Thanks again

• pqtex
    10 years ago

I generally can my juices without any sugar. The mayhaw juice is tart, sometimes my blackberry juice is too, but I still don't sweeten it prior to canning. If I'm going to sweeten it, I do it after I open the jar. For the mayhaw juice, I treat it more like a concentrate, and if not adding it to tea, I will add some water, sugar and ice to make a fresh fruity juice drink. The passion flower is a plant I intend to add to our landscape. There are a lot herbal uses for that plant. It is also one of the ingredients in commercial tea bags advertised for relaxation and sleepy-time.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very interesting Jill

I think next batch I will do with just a little bit of sugar and see how that goes.