Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

How do I get rid of seeds from dried tomatoes?

Some of my dried tomatoes went a little past the leather stage and became thin wafers with lots of embedded seeds. I defrosted some of them because i found a recipe that I wanted to use them in, and the skins came right off but the seeds remain embedded in the wafers which have acquired the consistency of tacky elmers glue.

How do I get the seeds out of the wafers?

Thanks for answering another newbie question, lol.

Comments (5)

• James McNulty
    11 years ago

Rehydrate and run them through a food mill.

Even if you had not over dried them, the amount of seeds would not have changed from having them soft. They are just more visible now. Why worry about the seeds either way? I have never seen deseeded dried tomatoes for sale in the stores. The most that most folks may do is to cut them in half and squeeze them to mostly remove excess water (and some of the seeds come with the fluids).

Jim in So Calif

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Agree that if you want them de-seeded for some reason then you really have to do it before drying them. Once dried, especially if over-dried, you are pretty much struck with the seeds.

When used for cooking as most do with dried tomatoes the seeds don't cause any issues.

Dave

• nancyofnc
    11 years ago

Next time put them through a food mill and then sieve out the seeds and skin, or use a Squeezo. Dehydrate the pulpy juice on mats instead of pieces of tomatoes with seeds. Properly dried the tomatoes only need to be in the freezer for 48 hours, then they can be put on the shelf in air tight containers, lasting for several years.

If your tomatoes are like Elmer's glue then they have gained some moisture back, usually from humid air. Properly dehydrated pieces of tomatoes will be slightly bendable and not break easily but the feel of them will be like paper.

Nancy

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the guidance. I used about 1/4 cup of the dried tomatoes with seeds in a recipe and did not detect any bitter taste, so I will not worry about it in the future. I guess I got a little confused because elsewhere in this forum I read that you should remove the seeds when canning tomatoes for sauce because the seeds could make the sauce bitter. Is that because there is something different about sauce versus dried?

I don'have a food mill so I unfortunately cannot experiment with removing seeds by food mill.

I really do appreciate folks being so patient with a rank newbie like me... I have frozen about 3 gallon bags of dried tomatoes so far and look forward to using them in chili and other recipes when the weather cools down.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I guess I got a little confused because elsewhere in this forum I read that you should remove the seeds when canning tomatoes for sauce because the seeds could make the sauce bitter. Is that because there is something different about sauce versus dried?

No it is a matter of taste buds and maybe digestive tract and a bit of appearance as the seeds tend to turn black when dried. :)

Many find seeds turn bitter in whatever tomato product they make - myself included - so a general guidelines removal is recommended. Other don't notice it.

Some find the seeds irritating to the digestive tract so removal is also recommended for that reason.

But I will say that the majority of the seeds are easy to remove before drying and no food mill is need, just your thumb. Just pop the center gel lump and seeds out after cutting the tomatoes. Leaves a few but the majority pop right out.

Dave