Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainegrammy

"Return to boil" overcooks B&B pickles?

mainegrammy
10 years ago

Yesterday we made bread-and-butter pickles. When heating them in the brine, we decided not to start counting the cooking time until the water returned to a boil (after putting in the cold pickles). We figured they would scarcely cook at all if we counted the time from when we put the pickles in the water, since they'd immediately cool the water down.

Well, the pickles are very mushy & fell apart. 12 quarts of cucumbers made only 9 pints of pickles! Next time, should we NOT wait until the water boils to start our cooking count-down?

BTW, we did it the same way last year with good results--but this time we tripled the recipe--perhaps that was the crucial factor?

Comments (6)

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

What recipe did you use? Maybe they were sliced too thin? Linda Ziedrich has a recipe for Bread and Butters My Way that just pours the boiling brine over the cukes (that have been salted and drained to make them crisper) rather than boiling them. I have to warn you that they are not very sweet - I am still experimenting with how much sugar and which spices to substitute since I don't like red pepper flakes in a sweet pickle.

• mainegrammy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll have to try the recipe you suggest. The one we used was:

1 gallon cukes sliced thin
    8 small onions sliced or chopped
    1 sliced or chopped green pepper
    1 qt cold water
    1/2 cup pickling salt
    5 cups vinegar
    5 cups sugar
    1 tsp. cloves
    2 tsp. mustard seeds

Soak cukes+onions+peppers 3 hours in water+salt.

Drain.

Add veggies to boiling vinegar+sugar+cloves+mustard seeds.

Cook 5 to 10 minutes after liquid returns to boil.

Pack into jars in the usual manner.

I'm starting to suspect my husband may have lost track of time in the cooking, since this recipe worked fine last year. He cooked them at least 10 minutes, *perhaps* longer (which would explain a lot).

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

That would explain it. I did some over an open fire (didn't have a stove at that time) and the pickles got softer. I had to wait til fire died down to pull jars, it was a 'campfire' with a grate and washtub. Did alot at once (28+/- qts), but over cooked the pickles, everything else worked great.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Cook 5 to 10 minutes after liquid returns to boil.

That could easily be a too long 'cooking' time. And doubly so if you loose track of the time.

Most the B&B recipes I have used say something like - add the cukes to the boiling brine but do not boil them. Remove from the heat just as the brine returns to boiling.

NCHFP says "add cucumbers and onions and slowly reheat to boiling" then fill jars.

So I definitely would not actually boil the cukes much less boil them for 10 mins. The point is just to get them hot for filling the jars and so they absorb the flavors.

Dave

• readinglady
    10 years ago

You also might have better results if you divide large batches into separate, preferably shallow pans. The bigger the batch and the deeper the mixture the longer it takes to reach the boil point and the greater the risk of overcooking.

My old USDA recipe calls for boiling brine, add slices and "heat 5 minutes" which yields a nice texture, especially if Pickle Crisp is added to the jars.

Carol

• mainegrammy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many thanks for the detailed and helpful responses!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH