Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

Food Above Water After Canning

treehugger101
10 years ago

I have canned for several years but just this year seriously canned with a pressure canner. Some of my zucchini was either over packed or I did not do the cool down process correctly because a lot of siphoning occurred. Now the food in several of the jars is above the liquid level by an inch or more. Is this safe to store or should I just use it?

Comments (3)

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

It's no longer recommended to can summer squash - there are no approved processing times. Did you just do this within the past 24 hours? Then you may be able to open the jars and freeze the squash (though I never found frozen squash to be good quality - not even blanched for 3 minutes before freezing on a cookie sheet).

You may be able to mix it with some cooked tomatoes and seasonings and freeze it as ratatouille, or cook it into a sauce. Again, only if it has been less than 24 hours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why can't I can summer squash?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Hi treehugger - it is your choice of course whether or not to abide by the guidelines.

When it comes to exposed foods in the jars it is usually caused by siphoning of liquid out of the jars. That is caused by sudden changes in the internal pressure in the canner either during processing by rapid adjustments of the heat level or improper cool down procedures. Both issues should be avoided.

Generally speaking the food above the liquid is considered safe to eat but it will discolor and darken and appear unappealing. In this particular case the risk of safety is undermined by the fact that it is summer squash.

Personally I wouldn't keep the squash - too many concerns for me - but the choice is yours.

Dave

PS: you might want to review the step-by-step instructions on how to use a pressure canner at NCHFP. It is very helpful.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Summer squash, like pumpkin puree, was removed from the canning guidelines because updated testing indicated varying pH and water levels made it impossible to determine consistently safe times and pressures that would also yield a palatable product.

Why is canning summer squash or zucchini not recommended?

Recommendations for canning summer squashes, including zucchini, that appeared in former editions of So Easy to Preserve or USDA bulletins have been withdrawn due to uncertainty about the determination of processing times. Squashes are low-acid vegetables and require pressure canning for a known period of time that will destroy the bacteria that cause botulism. Documentation for the previous processing times cannot be found, and reports that are available do not support the old process. Slices or cubes of cooked summer squash will get quite soft and pack tightly into the jars. The amount of squash filled into a jar will affect the heating pattern in that jar. It is best to freeze summer squashes or pickle them for canning, but they may also be dried. NCHFP

There are some few mixed vegetable formulations that allow the inclusion of squash. Mixed vegetables and tomatoes with okra or zucchini are two.

The chart at the link provides several reasons for loss of liquid from jars.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Troubleshooting Liquid Loss in Jars