Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Ketchup Spices/Recipe - Epic Fail

Posted by denninmi (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 11 at 6:05

I've dabbled with making ketchup at home over the years. As much as I hate to admit it, it just never came out "right" in terms of the spices - I have to admit that I grew up on the taste of Heinz and want something similar.

Last year, my sister made some homemade that is perfect, excellent seasoning, very similar to Heinz and just what I'm looking for.

I asked her for the recipe. She acted kind of funny, like she didn't want to share it. She finally did -- this is what I got from her - several packets of this mix. She used Mrs. Wage's. The irony. At least it tastes right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs. Wage's

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Ketchup Spices/Recipe - Epic Fail

• Posted by val_s z5 central IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 10, 11 at 8:34

It is kind of ironic, isn't it? I have to admit though that I think these people are doing something right.

We like and use a lot of Mrs. Wages. Pasta sauce, chili sauce, and pizza sauce. I make three kinds of salsa and one of them is Mrs. Wages (med.).

They've done their homework in the spicing area.

Val

o

That is a tip I can surely use - hope I can find the packets.

DL

o

ahhh yes. Another great product I probably won't be able to find in Canada. :P

o

• Posted by val_s z5 central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 18:07

I'm not sure about Canada but for others you can order all their products from their site if you can't find what you're looking for. I have a hard time finding their pizza and chili sauce around here. The pasta and salsa packets are easy enough.

I've ordered from their site and found them to be quite reliable.

Val

Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs. Wages

o

Has anyone made a good ketchup recipe (other than using the mrs. wages mix)? The NCHFP has 3 recipes. The blender ketchup recipe has an astronomical amount of sugar and vinegar. It does not appear to be the same as the blender ketchup in the small batch book. Any thoughts?

Am wondering if I might be better off making some more tomato paste and whipping up this recipe when I need to. We don't really use that much in a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Heinz-Ketchup-Recipe.html

o

Yeah, my catsup fiasco ended up tasting like chutney. All that work, and pretty much unusable, except maybe as a BBQ sauce, and even then, every time I think about it, bleh...So it sits there unused.

Carla in Sac

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here