Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692457

Question for Dinkans

User
14 years ago

Your recipe for Lime Pickles sounds delicious. Can you tell me what hydrated lime is and where I might locate it?

Thanks, Dianne

LIME PICKLES

1 cup lime (hydrated)

1 gal. water

7 lbs cucumbers, chunked or sliced 1/4 inch thick (don't peel)

Syrup: 2 quarts vinegar

11 cups sugar

1 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon celery seed

1 teaspoon mustard seed

1 teaspoon pickling spice

Slice cucumbers and put in a large non metal container (I use a 5 gallon plastic bucket). Stir lime into water, mix well. Pour lime mixture over cucumbers. Put a plate on the top of the cucumbers (to hold them under liquid). and let them soak 24 hours. Remove cucumbers and wash lime off under running water. Let washed cucumber slices soak in cold water 5 hours.

In large pot bring syrup ingredients to a boil. Drain cucumber slices and add them to hot syrup. Let cucumbers soak in syrup mixture over night. Simmer all ingredients about 40 minutes (or longer) until slices become transparent and sort of float to the top. One at a time place slices in prepared canning jar, pack tightly. Pour hot syrup mixture over slices to cover cucumbers. Seal jars in a hot water bath.

These pickles are a lot of work; but they are delicious! They are especially good used in potato, ham, turkey and chicken salads. My dad (and husband) love to eat them, but have to leave the house when they're cooking in the hot syrup.

Comments (3)