Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for Dinkans

Posted by dian57 M-H Valley NY-5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 1, 09 at 6:15

Your recipe for Lime Pickles sounds delicious. Can you tell me what hydrated lime is and where I might locate it?
Thanks, Dianne

LIME PICKLES
1 cup lime (hydrated)
1 gal. water
7 lbs cucumbers, chunked or sliced 1/4 inch thick (don't peel)
Syrup: 2 quarts vinegar
11 cups sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon pickling spice

Slice cucumbers and put in a large non metal container (I use a 5 gallon plastic bucket). Stir lime into water, mix well. Pour lime mixture over cucumbers. Put a plate on the top of the cucumbers (to hold them under liquid). and let them soak 24 hours. Remove cucumbers and wash lime off under running water. Let washed cucumber slices soak in cold water 5 hours.

In large pot bring syrup ingredients to a boil. Drain cucumber slices and add them to hot syrup. Let cucumbers soak in syrup mixture over night. Simmer all ingredients about 40 minutes (or longer) until slices become transparent and sort of float to the top. One at a time place slices in prepared canning jar, pack tightly. Pour hot syrup mixture over slices to cover cucumbers. Seal jars in a hot water bath.

These pickles are a lot of work; but they are delicious! They are especially good used in potato, ham, turkey and chicken salads. My dad (and husband) love to eat them, but have to leave the house when they're cooking in the hot syrup.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for Dinkans

Pickling lime (hydrated lime) is sometimes sold anywhere that carries canning supplies. Walmart has it as do grocery stores in the section where the other canning supplies are sold. But it is getting harder to find except online because of the problems associated with using it.

Please be advised that it is usually only called for in very old recipes as it is quite caustic, difficult to work with (avoid any breathing or skin contact), and its use isn't generally recommended any longer. It is a firming/crisping agent and for the most part it has been replaced by calcium chloride.

From NCHFP: Food-grade lime may be used as a lime-water solution for soaking fresh cucumbers 12 to 24 hours before pickling them. Excess lime absorbed by the cucumbers must be removed to make safe pickles. To remove excess lime, drain the lime-water solution, rinse, and then resoak the cucumbers in fresh water for 1 hour. Repeat the rinsing and soaking steps two more times.

Dave

o

If you use the calcium chloride is the amount the same as the lime? 1 cup and follow directions above, or are there changes in the recipe above if you switch?

o

No calcium chloride is usually used differently. It is just added to the jars (1 1/2 tsp per qt., 3/4 tsp to pints). Some add a bit more but I have always found that amount to be sufficient.

You can use it as a pre-soak if you wish but it isn't necessary to do so. If you do it's 1/4 c calcium chloride to 16 cups water.

Linda Lou posted sometime back on it and said they are now recommending adding it directly to the brine before pouring it over the jarred cukes because they had some complaints that it wasn't dissolving in the jars. So I tried doing that and IME it clumps badly - works but just doesn't look right to me. Since I have never had any problem with it dissolving in the jars, I went back to that method. But either way works.

If you want to learn more about calcium chloride and its many uses as well as sources for it just search 'calcium chloride or pickle crisp' here.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here