Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fermented dills not fermenting?

Posted by cme1 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 7:29

I decided to try my hand at a fermented dill recipe with my latest harvest of cukes. I followed the recipe in the Bernardin canning book (Canadian equivalent of the Ball Book, I figure) to a T.

Its been 3 days and I haven't seen any of the "scum" form on the surface of the liquid that I'm supposed to "scrape off every day". No bubbling, either.

I had the container in the basement for the first day and a half, decided it was too cool there and brought it to the first floor pantry. The temperature is about 78F up there. The basement is probably closer to 70F.

Am I being impatient or am I not finding a sweet spot in terms of temperature?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fermented dills not fermenting?

I just made a small batch of fermented vegetables using the Perfect Pickler kit. The jar did not look bubbling but when I picked it up, I could see the bubbling. Perhaps the bubbles are smaller than what you expect to see. Mine were pretty tiny. I did end up with some scum after 5 days.

o

Too soon to worry. Can take up to a week for the fermentation to start. Patience, grasshopper! :)

o

Agree. Too soon to worry. I would keep them in the basement though! I just had to abort my fermented dills and salvage what I could because the top layer started to get slimy because temps were too high. I don't have a basement and normally they're fine on my dining room table, but we've had a heat wave and my indoor temps have fluctuated between 60 and 80 degrees. Not good for fermenting.

After 4-5 days, you should be able to lift the lid and sniff. They should be starting to smell "pickly".

Deanna

o

• Posted by cme1 none (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 11:08

Thanks to you both - I'll try to calm down ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here