Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Canning And Chile Powder

Posted by keystone183 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 7:52

This is actually two questions.

1. I have lots of tomatoes, and i love to sauce them and can them. Right now however, with the heat, i'm only semi-covered in tomatoes. My question is, if i sauce up 2 or three pints at a time and put them in the fridge, how long will it keep? Also, could i go back and pressure can a large batch once i have collected enough in the fridge?

2. Does anyone have any suggestions making green chile powder. They are pimientos de padron, and i find they are a bit milder when green. Smoke them and grind them? Do you dry before or after smoking? Remove the skin before grinding or no?

Thanks in advance for all the input.

Reid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Canning And Chile Powder

I save tomatoes in the fridge for a week, then I "melt" them down in a huge batch and from this I freeze it so I can process it all later. I WB my tomatoes (with added vinegar) in small jars right now.

Smoke your chilies first, then dry them. This makes it so much easier on you. Smoke them, and see if the skins loosen upon smoking. My neighbors smokes hot peppers for me and the skins loosen so I can remove them.

My problem is finding a good place to dry them. I need to use a dehydrator (too much humidity here) and we can't even breathe in the house if we are dehydrating chilies :)....my neighbors smoke our chilies green, red...any stage.

o

if i sauce up 2 or three pints at a time and put them in the fridge, how long will it keep? Also, could i go back and pressure can a large batch once i have collected enough in the fridge?

Just core and freeze the tomatoes for now rather than making them into sauce. Once you have enough in the freezer to make it worth your time THEN make them into sauce and can and process it the same day.

Hopefully without causing a big controversy - again - I'll just point out that fridge storage with later processing is less than ideal. We have discussed this here many times in the past. Bad things continue to grow in the fridge so storage in the freezer is much safer and produces a much better quality than storage in the fridge. And with fridge storage you have to duplicate all the work of heating the sauce back up to boiling, re-jar, new lids etc. before processing. It wastes your time and the energy used.

How to process them is your choice. Plain tomato sauce with lemon juice or citric acid added can be done in the BWB. If any other foods are added to flavor the sauce then pressure canning is required.

Smoke them and grind them? Do you dry before or after smoking? Remove the skin before grinding or no?

Smoke, then dry, then grind.

Dave

o

Many thanks. Any opinions on the difference in taste/quality of the tomato/sauce after the freeze/thaw?

o

taste/quality of the tomato/sauce after the freeze/thaw

It's a common practice that many here practice and no complaints that I know of. Search 'freezing tomatoes' in the forum search bottom of the page for many discussions about it.

On other canning forums many offer it as a great method to allow all the canning to be done in cooler weather too rather than in the heat of summer.

No difference at all in either taste or quality IMO. Tomato puree is tomato puree. :) Plus it allows you to drain some of the water out of them after thawing so less cooking down is required and flavor is intensified. I suppose it would all depend on how you season your sauce.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here