Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Recipe for Mock Apple using zucchini?

2ajsmama
11 years ago

Don't know if it's a "pie filling" that can be canned, or just a baking recipe but I saw it referenced here, can't find the recipe. I did copy a lot from the "101" things thread but there's only so much we can eat a week, and limited freezer space too, so besides this recipe (which I would like to try even if just a baking recipe) I've love any safe canning (not relish or pickle, I've got those) recipes. Thanks

Starting up the dehydrator today, hope the kids will eat zucchini chips...

Comments (12)

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

It is a cooking recipe, not safe to can it.
    There is fake zucchini pineapple, though, to can.
    My grandson loves zucchini candy. It is dehydrated.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Mock Apple Rings is a pickled recipe made with cucumbers.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought there was a mock apple pie or cake with zucchini? Wasn't sure if it was a pie filling to can (like Zucchini "Pineapple", which I'm not sure what to do with), or a cake but I'd like the recipe if someone has it.

Thanks Dave for the links, once my okra starts producing (picked 1 pod yesterday) and tomatoes really start coming in I will be canning veggies, looking for sweet preserves using zucchini if there is such a thing - found a marmalade in Small Batch, I have lemons but no oranges, and it doesn't really use that much zucchini.

• malna
    11 years ago

Well, here's how I do (I use it in "apple" crisp as I cannot make a decent pie crust to save my life).

Start by peeling a zucchini. If you want people to think these are apples, remove all the bits of green peel.

Slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and pulpy center with a spoon. Lay the zucchini cut side down and slice.

I use two large zucchinis (about 6 cups? - I don't know. I never measure anything.) Place in a large saucepan and add:

1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon cinnamon (or to your taste, but I love cinnamon) or 2 t. apple pie spice
    about 3/4 cup water
    1/4 cup lemon juice

Simmer until the slices are tender and the liquid has become syrupy.

For a fruit crisp:

Take out the slices and put into a 2 qt. baking dish. Keep simmering the syrup until thick. Add 1 tablespoon tapioca if you like it thicker. Dump the syrup over the slices in the baking dish.

Sprinkle on your favorite crumb topping. Mine is:

6 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1 cup flour (or substitute some oatmeal for part of the flour)
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix until crumbly and sprinkle over the slices. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    11 years ago

My recipes probably would not do you much good as they are gluten free but definitely look into chocolate zucchini cake. Very delicious.

At our house, the key to success with a zucchini crisp is enough lemon juice, and the above recipe looks great. I may try that method soon for the syrup. I wonder, will it work with half Splenda?

• malna
    11 years ago

Sure - you can use cornstarch or whatever thickener you like. I use tapioca just 'cause that's what my mom always used :-)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    11 years ago

Dehydrated zucchini could be plumped up with a little broth and used in a pasta sauce. I also find they are good for use with salsa instead of depending on the zucchini for the flavor alone.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I used the mandoline to slice the zuke, didn't even fit a whole one on 4 trays. Slices stuck to grids. Maybe I cut too thin - will have to cut by hand and see if that works better.

Or is there a trick to not having them stick?

Made the "crab" cakes last night (and gave 1 to my cousin for bread) so used up all the zukes in the fridge - but haven't picked today yet, I know there are some huge ones out there! Oh well, only 2 days til market...

• malna
    11 years ago

Have you ever tried the plastic drying screen that lays on top of the wire shelving in your dehydrator?

We get bags of the overripe bananas from the local market and dry them. We tried just using the wire grid shelves the first time. OMG, what a mess. So I bought the screen and even really sticky bananas pop right off and it washes very easily. We just leave it on there now - it works for everything except fruit leather, because it does let the air through.

• tracydr
    11 years ago

I just saw the mock apple crisp recip using a giant Armenian cucumber. I would have never thought of that.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County