Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild berries in Florida.

Posted by kikistreehouse (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 8:05

I have had a berry bush bought at yard sale years ago. Well I thought it had died, and now it has come back , (many more ) so I dug them up and planted them together in rows. I need to know what it is and make sure its safe to eat. Grandkids love berries .One of them had a black looking berry on it . I went to get the camera and came back and the berry was gone..so as soon as another one comes up I'll take picture.I have a mulberry tree that harvests very well. Canned jam last year. Iam new to this so please bear with me. I have a half acre and want to plant vegs and fruit . Not sure what to plant and how to get started. Dont know much about the computer either. I joined this forum in 06 I had someone read me off . For my lack of computer knowledge,so I laid off there for awhile.Thank you for any help .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild berries in Florida.

Welcome back! Really can't say anything without a picture, when you get some berries and can take a picture come back and we'll help you post it and get it ID'd (or send you to a forum where you can). If you don't already have one, open a Photobucket account so you can post pictures here.

You don't remember if the person who sold you the bush said it was edible?

BTW, I love mulberries! Wish we had a tree. My grandma used to make mulberry jam with fruit from a tree at a house my aunt and uncle rented, across the street from my great-grandparents.

o

The link below is to several pages of different wild berries. See if you can find one that looks like yours, click on it for more details, name, location, etc.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: wild berry pics

o

Please note that not all berries are edible - some are highly toxic and can kill you with a nibble -- whether native, local, or imported, purchased or even gifted. Just because someone sold it to you does not mean that it is worth keeping to stew up something you might think is yummy = maybe it is just for show and would poison you.

I grow some berries for the birds - they don't die - but I would if I ate them. I grow some berries for their pretty show too - pretty to look at but not edible, tasty, and mostly nor good for you/me. Some of both types are these examples: Chaste Tree, Poke Weed, American or Japanese Beauty Berry, Nightshade, Viburnum, Blackberry Lily. Lots of plants have berries - they don't always have a purpose as food for humans. There are wild berries that are edible but you have to know how to identify them - blackberries, wild strawberries, elderberries, cherries, etc. Someone else has eaten them in the long lost history of civilization and didn't die, so go with the known - don't experiment, please.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here