Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reheating and canning extra relish question

Posted by KSprairie 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 8:06

On August 15th I made a batch of Linda Lou's Zucchini Relish. I canned six half pint jars and didn't have time to finish canning the last 6 before I had to leave. Is there any reason why I shouldn't heat up the remaining relish that is stored in the fridge and finish canning it?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reheating and canning extra relish question

Technically speaking it shouldn't be done this way. 4 days of time sitting in the fridge has allowed bacterial growth. With low-acid or borderline acidic foods this wouldn't be considered safe to do.

But since this is an pickled/acidified recipe I would be comfortable with reheating all the relish back to boiling, then cooking it for several minutes, jarring it and processing it. You'll get some decline in quality but all the acid that was added should make it safe to can.

Dave

o

That's great news! I was not happy to have to leave the canning unfinished, but I'd have been even more unhappy if it was unsafe to can at this point.
Thanks!

o

I would also use that relish first, not as a safety issue but as a quality one as it likely will be softer and the texture just won't hold up as well with storage.

Carol

o

I agree, I don't see why there is an issue if it's been refrigerated, but as Carol mentioned, the quality may be lessened by the storage, so I'd use it first.

Annie

o

Thanks Carol and Annie. I mark my jars with the date the product was canned, so we will be sure to use this batch first. Can't wait!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here