Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freakout while canning

Posted by ristau5741 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 8:19

made a batch of sweet pickles yesterday, ball bluebook recipe, after I BWB and was done, I freaked out and had convinced myself that I forgot the canning salt, so I undid the whole batch, back in the pot, added the 1/3 cup of canning salt and reprocessed the batch again, woke up this morning and realized that there was no need, the canning salt was using in the 90 minute brining and wasn't supposed to go in the pot so I didn't need to do all that extra work. I ruined a perfectly good batch of pickles. More pissed off for the forgetting than a over salty batch of pickles. oh well, I need some feel good stories about your canning screw ups. make me feel better :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freakout while canning

Ok, yesterday we prepped just less than 1 bushel of Roma tomatoes for salsa. Got that all prepped and then when I added the spice packages (we make a HUGE batch at a time), I added pasta instead of salsa spices. So we will have a totally different salsa this year, hope it's good.

o

I think both these projects will turn out ok :). The pickles, you can just rinse them off -- soak them if they are really too salty -- before eating. The salsa might be more like spicy spaghetti sauce :).

o

Hubby tried it, It's OK.

o

Oh, good!

o

After 20 pints, I was hoping he was Ok with it. Next batch, I'll watch more carefully.

o

You can use the "pasta" salsa as a base for sloppy joes, I bet that wold be yummy, and I also do that with my salsa just add a small jar of sauce and simmer best sloppy joe mix ever!! Way better than manwich!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here