Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

I made Tomato Juice!

trudi_d
15 years ago

I've never made tom juice before--basically, it's pretty much the same as making tomato sauce (sans meat and cheese) but tomato juice is a bit thinner than sauce.

First, let me say that I've been recently blessed with a mouli grinder and making anything with cooked maters got a LOT easier. I just halve the fruits, squeeze out the seeds (if I'm saving their seeds) and into the pot the mater halves go. After cooking, it all goes into the mouli grinder and in minute of grinding I've got a thin batch of juice. If I want sauce I can just simmer the juice a few minutes until it thickens.

Tomato Juice

About 2 quarts of ripe maters, halved across the equator. -- Place in pot and bring up to boil.

Four cloves of garlic, sliced or mashed. -- Add to the pot.

A stem of celery or lovage. -- Toss it in the pot.

A large onion, chopped. -- Toss it in the pot.

Herbs and Spices--use what YOU like to suit your tastes. I did several twists of black pepper and a half teaspoon salt, a dash or two of allspice, and some bay leaves.

================

Let all this boil up until the onion pieces are translucent and very soft. Turn off the burner and let the pot sit a few minutes to cool. Use a ladle or slowly pour contents into mouli grater. Grind it down until there's nothing left but waste in the grinder. In the pot under the grinder you've caught a delicious juice that can be refrigerated to us within a few days, it can be frozen or canned for later use.

T

Comments (7)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio