Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherribaby_gw

Recipe for Sweet (Hot Dog) Relish

sherribaby
16 years ago

Does anyone have a recipe for relish that tastes like what you would buy at the grocery store to put on hot dogs? I've done a couple of "sweet cucumber relish" recipes but they haven't even come close. I'm thinking green relish like you would see at a hot dog stand. I have a ton of cukes that I picked a day late so they're too big for most pickles but I thought that relish would suit them just fine.

TIA,

Sherri

Comments (11)

• booberry85
    16 years ago

My favorite is this. I know it says "Zucchini" but I think in this case zucchinis and cucumbers are interchangeable. LindaLou posted this a while back. There are a number of variations for it out there.

Zucchini Relish
    10 cups ground zucchini
    3 cups ground onion
    5 tablespoons salt
    4 1/2 cups sugar
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    3/4 teaspoon tumeric
    1 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 red bell pepper, ground
    1 green bell pepper, ground
    Using coarse grinder, grind zucchini and onion. If large zucchini are used, remove seeds before grinding. Combine zucchini and onion with salt and let stand overnight in the refrigerator. Drain thoroughly.
    Combine sugar, dry mustard, turmeric, celery seed, pepper, vinegar and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat until it begins to thicken; then add ground bell peppers and cook on low heat for 30 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
    Pour into pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Adjust lids.
    Process in boiling water for 15 minutes.
    Yield: 6 pints

• sherribaby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

With the turmeric and mustard does it end up being yellow? And have you done it with the cucumbers?

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I haven't made it with cucumbers. The tumeric and mustard make the relish a "standard green" relish color. I have not tried it with cucumbers alone, but have mixed cukes & zukes for the relish. Cucumber pH is 5.5 and zucchini pH is 6.0. So replacing the zucchini with cucumber should be fine for canning.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

I use finl;ey chopped cukes and also some chopped onion. I add a bit of cider vinegar, but its mostly white. They also get celery seed and mustard seeds, as well as a little dill. Tumeric will add a yellow color, but because I like the relish bright green, I add green food coloring. Mine is sweetened with Splenda too. I also made a batch of mustard pickles, and with the extra mustard sauce (used yellow and brown mustard seeds), I made a batch of pickle relish with the added mustard. My batches came out fantastic and I tasted everything while making it, so I knew exactlly where the flavors were headed.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

here's a link for one hot dog relish from Univ of Ga
    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/uga_pickled_products.pdf
    scroll down to hot dog relish

there's another for just cucumbers in the Ball Blue Book

• ilene_in_neok
    16 years ago

Years ago, I made green tomato relish several years in a row. We thought it was really close in taste to the relish at the store. I had little kids at the time, and while they were not raised to be "picky", I generally liked to make things they were comfortable with. Now I can't find the recipe. But let me look a bit, see what I can do. All it had in it was ground green tomatoes, ground onion and some ground sweet bell pepper. Along with of course the vinegar, sugar, salt, etc. that you normally use in relish. I'll post back if I can find the recipe. --Ilene

• ilene_in_neok
    16 years ago

Green Tomato Pickle Relish
    Makes about 2 pints.

8 cups chopped green tomatoes
    2 large onions, chopped
    1 sweet red pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup coarse pickling salt
    1 1/2 cups cider or white vinegar
    1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon mustard seed
    1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine vegetables, Sprinkle with salt and let stand several hours or overnight; drain and rinse with cold water. Combine remaining ingredients in large saucepan and bring to boil. Add drained vegetables and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pack into hot sterilized jars and seal.

• dutchiss
    16 years ago

I have a recipe for a green relish, it calls for green tomatoes, cabbage and onion,, I do believe it is just about the same as Ilene's... if anyone is interested I'll post it.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Ilene, is that correct? That it makes 2 pints?
    I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out how 8 cups of tomatoes (plus all the other stuff) fits into 2 pints?
    Deanna (confused)

• snolady
    16 years ago

Here's my recipe.

Hot Dog Relish
    5 cups ground cucumbers
    3 cups ground onions
    3 cups ground cut up celery
    2 hot red peppers ground up
    2 sweet red peppers ground up
    3/4 cup salt
    1 1/2 quarts water

Soak overnight then in the morning drain off all water.
    Then bring to a boil
    3 cups sugar
    2 tsp mustard seed
    2 tbsp celery seed
    1 quart vinegar
    Then add the vegetables and boil 10 minutes. Put in jars and seal in hot water bath.

• ilene_in_neok
    16 years ago

Deanna, 2 pints is probably wrong. Maybe it's 2 qts?? You will lose some of the bulk of the green tomatoes in the overnite soaking and draining.