Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msdonnie

Ball Corn relish?

msdonnie
13 years ago

Just made 6 half-pints of Ball recipe for Down Home Corn Relish. They look great. My question is: Has anyone else used this particular recipe?

There's very little liquid in the jars. The top of the mixture is not covered with liquid. The vegetable mixture was quite thick after simmering for 15 minuts, before ladeling into the jars.

Will there be a safety issue due to the top part of the mixture not being in liquid?

TIA....Ms. Donnie

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Not a safety issue, just a quality issue as it will darken with time so just pitch that part when you open the jar.

Next time you need to add more liquid to the mix or not cook it quite so long so that the proportion of liquid to solids in the jar is better. During processing some of the liquid in the jar is absorbed by the corn so there needs to be a good amount of free liquid in there to begin with.

Dave

• msdonnie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I followed the recipe/process exactly. So..if there needs to be more liquid shouldn't BALL have indicated such in their recipe?

Ms. Donnie

• momagain1
    13 years ago

is this it? I cannot find the ball blue book anywhere around here and the ones I find on the net are $$..so i'm sure i"m looking at the wrong thing...

I googled it and seen this recipe (LMK if this is the riight one or not..I'd like to try it if it is ;-))

Home-style Corn Relish
    Makes about 6 (8 oz) pints
    You will need:
    Â 4 cups white vinegar
    Â 2/3 cup sugar
    Â 1 Tbsp salt
    Â 4 cups cooked corn kernels (about 8 ears)
    Â 2 cups diced mixed red and green bell peppers (about 2 large)
    Â 3/4 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
    Â 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 small)
    Â 1 Tbsp dry mustard
    Â 1 tsp celery seeds
    Â 1 tsp ground turmeric
    Â 6 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:
    1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
    2.) COMBINE vinegar, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add corn, red and green peppers, celery, onion, mustard, celery seeds and turmeric. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
    3.) LADLE hot relish into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
    4.) PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

I find I often need additional brine. It all comes down to how exactly you measured your veggies - did you use 8 ears of corn, or did you measure exactly 4 cups? How packed were the veggies in the measuring cup - did you pack the veggies in pretty hard to avoid wasting part of an ear of corn? How vigorous was your simmer - how much liquid boiled off? Even the water content of different veggies varies.

In the end, I find it easier to make a bit more brine than to let my product discolor and have to waste my hard work.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

I followed the recipe/process exactly. So..if there needs to be more liquid shouldn't BALL have indicated such in their recipe?

As pixie said there are many variables that any recipe cannot anticipate. In this case the size of the ears of corn, the size of the head of cabbage, the size of the onion and how finely chopped, etc. One could make the claim that no canning recipe is an exact, accurate guide and not be far off base. ;)

Some of those variables include cooking at too high a temperature, cooking too long or not cooking long enough, measuring ingredients, over-packing jars - most tend to over-pack their jars with solids routinely, too much air left in the jar, etc. to name just a few. For this reason many of us make marginal notes on the recipes for future reference.

You'll find this need for extra liquid to be fairly common.

Dave

PS: momagain1 - no that isn't the same recipe. The Ball Blue Book is sold at walMart for &5.95 and at any hardware store that sells canning supplies like Ace as well as through 20-30 sites on line - just Google it for best price. You really do need to get one - one way or another.

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

All I know is this one is delicious. Love how you can use frozen corn, too. From NCHFP.
    Pickled Corn Relish
    10 cups fresh whole kernel corn (16 to 20 medium-size ears), or six 10-ounce packages of frozen corn
    2-1/2 cups diced sweet red peppers
    2-1/2 cups diced sweet green peppers
    2-1/2 cups chopped celery
    1-1/4 cups diced onions
    1-3/4 cups sugar
    5 cups vinegar (5 percent)
    2-1/2 tbsp canning or pickling salt
    2-1/2 tsp celery seed
    2-1/2 tbsp dry mustard
    1-1/4 tsp turmeric
    Yield: About 9 pints

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure: Boil ears of corn 5 minutes. Dip in cold water. Cut whole kernels from cob or use six 10-ounce frozen packages of corn. Combine peppers, celery, onions, sugar, vinegar, salt, and celery seed in a saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix mustard and turmeric in 1/2 cup of the simmered mixture. Add this mixture and corn to the hot mixture. Simmer another 5 minutes. If desired, thicken mixture with flour paste (1/4 cup flour blended in 1/4 cup water) and stir frequently. Fill jars with hot mixture, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and process according to the recommendations in Table 1.

Table 1. Recommended process time for Pickled Corn Relish in a boiling-water canner.
    Process Time at Altitudes of
    Style of Pack Jar Size 0 - 1,000 ft 1,001 - 6,000 ft Above 6,000 ft
    Hot Half-pints or Pints 15 min 20 25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This document was adapted from the "Complete Guide to Home Canning," Agriculture Information Bulletin No. 539, USDA, revised 2009.

• momagain1
    13 years ago

wow ok..I was at three different bookstores yesterday and none of them had them! even amazon.com has high priced ones..maybe i'm looking at the wrong one?

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Last edition (not the newest one) at amazon is 7.95 plus shipping.

Newest edition at Pressure Cooker Outlet is 6.99.

$7.99 at Canning Pantry.

$6.95 on eBay

Dave

• momagain1
    13 years ago

THANK YOU! Not sure why; but even at the bookstore ..they looked it up and wasnt around!

• msdonnie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Mamagain1, that is the recipe I used. I found it on the Ball web site. I wanted to use a "small batch" recipe for my first time.

Pixie_Lou: I always measure ingredients "exactly" as the recipe calls for, if it has cup measurements. I don't like "guessing". lol

I'm going to try the corn relish recipe on page 53 of the 100th Anniversay edition of Ball book next. Bascially the same ingredients with shredded cabbage added. AND it is for pints instead of 1/2 pints. I know I can use 1/2 pints and process the same amount of time, but I did not feel comfortable in "doubling" the other recipe and processing it in pints.

I'm a bit paranoid about altering recipes or processes, etc.

Appreciate the suggestions to just make extra brine. Would had done that if I had known the liquid would come up short. Hopefully I won't have to skim off too much of the product when we open the jars.

Thanks everyone! Ms Donnie

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Yes, Mamagain1, that is the recipe I used. I found it on the Ball web site.

Then my apologies for the confusion I created. I mistakenly assumed you were referring to the the one in the BBB. You know what they say about people who assume things. ;)

I'm a bit paranoid about altering recipes or processes, etc.

That's an excellent attitude to have. It will serve you well.

Hopefully I won't have to skim off too much of the product when we open the jars.

It takes some time for the changes in that part to happen so I'd just mark those jars and plan to use them up first.

Dave

• bethd127
    11 years ago

i made this today, had a bumper crop of corn, so doubled the recipe and tripled the brine...came out..well different..not so "relishy" but more like a pickled corn salad, and I will call and label it as such, but is still quite yummy!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks