Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

what's your set up, ie - how can you can in all this heat?

t-bird
12 years ago

the heat wave broke a few days ago in chicago.....but it's still in the 80's during the day and doesn't cool down enough for me to even want to cook dinner. (we don't use air con unless the day time high is in the 90's - or nighttime low is very high/humid....)

do you have a canning operation set up in the basement, mudroom/3 seasons porch, etc. or are you just sweating?

thx for info/idea!

Comments (7)

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

We just turn on our air conditioner and put the fans on.

I do most of my prep during the day, and then start running the canner at night, usually around 9.

Peaches and tomatoes are coming in. I'll spend one night peeling - since I use the boiling water plunge. Refrigerate over night. Then I'll can them up the next evening.

I throw romas into the freezer - since I make sauce out of those. When they come out of the freezer, the skins slip right off - so no boiling required. I don't even package the tomatoes - just throw them whole in my freezer basket. I don't worry about freezer burn since they are only in the freezer about 24-48 hours. This year I'm going to try freezing my peaches that are destined for peach sauce.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I do all the prep work indoors in the A/C but all the hot work (processing, pressure canning, cooking down, etc.) outdoors on the covered deck. Is shaded and has a ceiling fan for help cooling.

Anything that can be frozen for canning later is - especially tomatoes.

Dave

• cabrita
    12 years ago

What heat? It is in the low 60 here. Weird year indeed. Very pleasant temperature for canning tomatoes though!

• macybaby
    12 years ago

I do mine in my summer kitchen, so no AC but good air flow. Usually I'm stripped down a bit and sweat. I'm out of the sun and out of the bugs, and the heat and mess is out of the house.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I'm remembering my grandmother canning on her wood stove. Now that's unpleasant.

At the worst I either can outdoors or pick the very very early morning hours when it's absolutely at its coolest. The downside is that heats up the house.

Carol

• grlsixx
    12 years ago

lol, it's nearly 100 everyday here, still, which is cool for us! we don't bother with the a/c unless it hits 96 or so. i do my canning in the morning or after the kids are in bed. otherwise, i jump in the pool to cool off! been sweating over the stove a lot this summer!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Like cabrita, I can't quite relate to this post. We've had no heat to speak of this year, a few days in the low 70's at best. I haven't had the AC on at all this season. Picked up my tuna this morning but the next few weeks are way too busy (not too hot) for canning it - it went very well wrapped, separate individual loins each close to jar ready except for chunking it up and one last rinse, into the freezer for a rainy day.