Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot Pepper, Olive, Carrot? Relish Recipe

Posted by jschmo Indiana (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 8:38

I'm new to the forum, so I'm posting hopefully! :) A friend's aunt has a secret recipe for some amazing relish that I'd love to make...but it's a SECRET! I know it has hot peppers in it, green olives, and I believe some carrot. It's chopped pretty small...Anyone have any recipes that might be similar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot Pepper, Olive, Carrot? Relish Recipe

Not other than a specially designed safe recipe for antipasto.
Otherwise what you are describing is unsafe for canning.

o

I agree that you wouldn't be able to can this. Not sure what freezing might do to the quality but it would be safe.

But for fresh use, if I Google 'pepper olive relish' all sorts of recipes come up. Some with mustard, some with mayo, some with various blends of herbs, sweet or hot peppers, shredded carrots to add some sweetness, even onions can be added. Many recipes are available to experiment with to get the taste you want.

Dave

o

You didn't indicate whether this was a fresh (i.e. refrigerated) or canned recipe, but I'm assuming not canned because of the green olives.

Regardless, it helps to have more information. Taste, size of pieces, consistency, proportions of ingredients, anything you remember. It sounds a bit like muffuletta relish for those New Orleans sandwiches, but without more details I can't be sure.

Carol

o
Follow-Up

To add what Dave mentioned, I've seen a lot of recipes for Hot Giardiniera (for which safe canning recipes can be found) chopped after opening as for relish then mixed with green olives, olive oil, parsley, etc. as a kind of salad or sandwich filling.

She could have purchased a commercial Giardiniera and done that sort of thing quite easily. Don't even get me started on people who don't share recipes.

Carol

o

Carol, what's wrong with olives in canning? I wasn't aware of any olive issues. Is it the fat content?

o

Both the ph level and the oil content make them unsuitable for canning.

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 8:43

sounds like giardiniera - any cauliflower or celery in there?

o

Ok, thanks. I've been looking for a good gardienera recipe for canning and if I could put olives in it I'd be all over it!

o

Now that you mentioned olives, I went back and looked at my Joy of Pickling book and realized that any recipe with olives is stored in the refrigerator.
I was looking for a gardieneria recipe. Boy, are there ever a lot of unsafe ones out there! People canning all sorts of stuff with tons of olive oil, olives, veggies and little to no processing. Most of the instructions say " seal the jars and they will store on the shelves for up to a year". Yikes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here