Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usmc0352_gw

lemoncello question, again

usmc0352
12 years ago

I think I posted my message in the wrong forum so I am posting this a second time here. Sorry about the confusion.

I recently decided to make lemoncello. Seemed like the thing to do. So I bought a large glass container and some bottles with flip tops. Bought the 190 proof grain alcohol and 15 lemons. I used a vegetable peeler like the person said to do on some youtube video. Then I put the lemon peels into the container and covered it with alcohol.

THEN I looked at some more recipes and most state that you have to remove ALL of the pith. I did not remove ALL the pith. I removed most of the pith to where there is some thin white on the inside of the peels. Now I read that pith will make lemoncello bitter. How much pith is ok at this point? Should I just start all over? Will it really taste bitter? How bitter? We are just talking about a very thin layer of pith, not large thick slabs of it.

Thanks

Comments (12)

• readinglady
    12 years ago

It is almost impossible to remove every last bit of pith, but when I make limoncello I am careful to peel as much of the zest without pith as I can then turn over the strips and scrape off any remaining chunks. There's still a bit of pith remaining, but it's minimal.

It's just hard to know how bitter the pith you have left will make the limoncello, but since you haven't gotten to the sugar syrup stage yet, I'd probably fish the strips out and remove all I can. Peeling all that lemon is a pain; I'd rather do the extra work than risk an inferior product.

Carol

• usmc0352
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hated to do that but I did it.

I opened the lid, which smelled awesome, and took out the lemon peels and removed the pith. The peels were pretty stiff already only been in the alcohol for 24 hours. But I was able to remove a decent amount of pith. Only time will tell. I will try to let everyone here know what the outcome is.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Yes, please let us know how it goes for you.

There's a reason they call this stuff "slow food." Some of these steps just take forever.

Carol

• usmc0352
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just thought up a new question.

The recipe I am following said to use either 2 750 ml bottles of 100 proof vodka or 1 750 ml bottle of 190 proof. But they did not change the 5 cups of water and 4 cups of sugar if only using the 1 750 ml bottle of 190 proof alcohol.

Wont this make it far more sweet then if using 2 750 ml bottles of vodka?

• harvestingfilth
    12 years ago

Could you link to the recipe, please? I've always wanted to try making limoncello--it would be a good addition to the other liqueurs I have going this year. More Christmas gifts from the pantry!!

Also, where can you get 190 proof alcohol? I thought that stuff was illegal.

• decemberdaisy
    12 years ago

I think the 190 proof alcohol is called "Graves Grain Alcohol". I saw it at the liquor store next to the moonshine when I went to buy vodka for a big batch of homemade vanilla extract. I'm not kidding about the moonshine!

• skeip
    12 years ago

Here's the recipe I use and it's really good. Store in the freezzer and serve slushy.

LIMONCELLO

2 Cups 100-proof Vodka
    Zest of Five Lemons
    2 Cups Water
    1 1/2 Cups Sugar

Combine Vodka and Lemon Zest in a 1-quart covered glass Jar, let stand at room temperature for 3 days.

Make a simple syrup by heating the Water and Sugar over medium heat, stir until Sugar dissolves.

Stir the syrup into the jar containing the Vodka. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discard the Lemon Zest. Pour into clean jars, cap tightly and store in the freezer. Serve well chilled in small glasses.

Steve

• teresasr
    11 years ago

I made a batch of limoncello for the first time and I am very disappointed. I followed the recipe I found. 15 Lemons. Everclear alcohol grain. Zested them to the best of my ability (now I know there was a tiny bit of pith) but I was careful to remove most of it! I Let it steep for 2 whole weeks...... and when I mixed in the simple syrup ( 5 cups water to 3 cups sugar) it was still bitter!!!! Is it the alcohol grain, did it need more sugar (I actually DIDNT want it to be syrupy sweet thats why I went with this recipe!) What did I do wrong??????????? Will this bitterness go away, or is it ruined? If it can be fixed..... HELP! If not I might as well throw it out and start over!!!

• teresasr
    11 years ago

I made a batch of limoncello for the first time and I am very disappointed. I followed the recipe I found. 15 Lemons. Everclear alcohol grain. Zested them to the best of my ability (now I know there was a tiny bit of pith) but I was careful to remove most of it! I Let it steep for 2 whole weeks...... and when I mixed in the simple syrup ( 5 cups water to 3 cups sugar) it was still bitter!!!! Is it the alcohol grain, did it need more sugar (I actually DIDNT want it to be syrupy sweet thats why I went with this recipe!) What did I do wrong??????????? Will this bitterness go away, or is it ruined? If it can be fixed..... HELP! If not I might as well throw it out and start over!!!

• kolachi
    9 years ago

I made a batch of limoncello for the first time and I am very disappointed. I followed a recipe online. 15 Lemons. Everclear alcohol grain (750). Zested them to the best of my ability (now I know there was a tiny bit of pith) but I was careful to remove most of it! I Let it steep for 3 whole weeks. I made the sugar water mixture, added it to the lemoncello and put it in my cuboard. Every day I shook the container. The sugar never infused into the lemon/alcohol mixture. The sugar is at the bottom of the jar. What did I do wrong? It tastes horrible. Can I do something to fix it?

• msmarieh
    9 years ago

If your sugar is in the bottom of the jar, it means you didn't make a proper syrup. The water should have been heated with the sugar until the sugar dissolved (plus another minute or two to be sure it's well done).

• minuteb
    9 years ago

So, I've done a dumb thing with my recent attempt at making Lemoncello. I slavishly and carefully zested my lemons and followed the recipe for the first phase and then completely forgot about it. I had carefully put in in a nice dark cool area where it was out of sight and out of mind. 9 months later, I "discover" it sealed in it's glass jar looking rather innocuous. Do you think I could still use it and go ahead and add the simple syrup to it or will I need to toss it? Thoughts anyone?