Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peel first or just run through food mill?

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 8:55

My cousin asked me yesterday whether I peel the tomatoes first or just cook them then put them through the food mill when making sauce. I have only canned Annie's salsa (where she peels and scoops out the goo), and Ellie Topp's Chunky Basil sauce (with red wine), I like chunky sauce so haven't put anything through mill. I know her Seasoned Tomato Sauce doesn't call for peeling first.

I told him that if he was putting through mill anyway (I got the feeling this was not an option - maybe he likes smooth sauce or hates seeds) then I guess he could just leave them unpeeled, but that the skins would clog the mill more often.

Just wanted to hear pros/cons of leaving skins on while cooking - he thought blanching and peeling would make tomatoes more watery?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peel first or just run through food mill?

They don't need to be peeled when using a food mill. JUst cut out any spoiled spots first then cook till softened and then run it all through the mill.

With some of the best food mills you don't even have to cook them first but it does make the cranking more difficult when they aren't cooked.

Dave

o

I scald my tomatoes first and remove the skins. I'll tell you for why. I don't like my tomato products to seperate into water at the top, and solids at the bottom, and handling them cooked, instead of raw, deactivates the enzymes responsible for the pectin breaking down. Since I'm heating them anyway, might as well slide the skins off, it only takes a second. So actually the blanching and peeling helps the tomato product to at least look less watery, not more.

o

I bought a food mill last year and love it for making sauces. It doesn't really clog up. When it clogs a little I just reverse directions and it unclogs. It saves me a lot of time. I can a lot of sauce.

But I also can chunky tomatoes for soup. I drop those in boiling water a few seconds, cool and peel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here