Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry Peach Jam

Posted by ekgrows (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 11 at 8:59

Greetings all,

I was given about a half bushel of peaches yesterday, and will spend the day canning and freezing some. I recently went blueberry picking, and was thinking I'd like to make a blueberry peach jam. I have only found 2 recipes - 1 is a freezer jam (which I'd prefer NOT to do), and another is spiced - from the NCHFP. Has anyone tried the recipe from the NCHFP? If so, did you like it? It does not use pectin, which I guess is okay - just will take me a while longer to make. Does anyone have a recipe for a blueberry peach jam that does use pectin? Maybe I can just use a recipe for raspberry peach jam, subbing the berries? Thanks for any thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry Peach Jam

You can just sub the blueberries for raspberries.

Or you can use the spiced recipe, and leave out the spices.

If it was me - I would look at the pectin package. Take half the amount of peaches with half the corresponding sugar for the peach recipe. Then I would take half the amount of blueberries and half the corresponding sugar for the blueberry recipe, and use those quantities for a batch of jam.

o

If you have a recipe that uses raspberries and pectin, I'd just sub the blueberries, adding them in same proportion and at same time as it says for raspberries. Or use the spiced recipe without the spices as pixie lou said.

Madelaine Bulwinkel has a Peach Blueberry Jam but it doesn't call for pectin. If you can't find a recipe you like, I suggest following the peach recipe on the pectin box, but reduce the peaches by the amount of blueberries you plan to add. Cook the peaches and pectin as directed, then I would try adding the blueberries *just* before (maybe 3-5 minutes) you add the sugar. Madelaine adds hers just 5 minutes before taking off the heat to can. HTH

o

With jams you can mix any fruit combinations you wish as long as the total amounts stay the same. You don't need a specific recipe for whatever fruits you want to use. Only exceptions would be the low-acid fruits like figs, mangoes, and windfall apples.

If the recipe calls for 4 cups fruit you can use 2 cups each, 1 cup of one and 3 cups of the other, etc. Even 3 fruit jams are easy to make. Most of the pectin boxes provide a set of mixed-fruit instructions.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here