Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good potato for soup?

Posted by michelelc 6B, MA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 9:01

I have a recipe for minestrone soup that calls for potatoes. I know some potatoes are better for boiling than others but I'm not sure which ones are good. I have Yukon Gold that I just dug, would these work, or should I purchase a different variety at the farmers market? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good potato for soup?

I assume this recipe is for fresh eating, not canning?

The article linked below is one of the best I have ever found to explain all the differences between the many varieties and list those best for boiling vs. baking. You'll note that Yukons fall into the all purpose category - not the best for boiling but ok.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Different types of potatoes

o
RE: Good potato for soup?

Thanks Dave! I googled it but didn't find much info. That article was very helpful. I also have Red Norland, but assumed since it was Red, it wasn't good for soup. Sounds like I should use the Red Norland. Yes, the soup is for fresh eating, or freezing, although the potatoes tend to get mushy when frozen. I've got some Savoy cabbage and squash, which I also love to put in a good minestrone. Too bad I have no ripe tomatoes yet, but maybe I'll add some canned tomato basil sauce I have leftover from last year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here