Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadjahs9

Marinated Bell Peppers in oil - is this safe?

nadjahs9
11 years ago

I came across a recipe for marinated bell peppers in oil that is water-bath canned. It is from the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning so I would think it's been tested and is ok, but something in me hesitates because I've always heard that canning in oil is a "no-no"... perhaps because this recipe includes quite a bit of acid it's ok? Would love for one of the experts to corroborate that the below recipe is safe!

Note: I have removed some of the extraneous notes to make it easier to read here, the full recipe can be found on page 6-21 at http://www.foodsaving.com/G6Preparing-CanningFermentedFoods-PickledVegetables.pdf

MARINATED PEPPERS

Bell, Hungarian, banana, or jalape�o

4 lbs firm peppers*

1 cup bottled lemon juice

2 cups white vinegar (5%)

1 tbsp oregano leaves

1 cup olive or salad oil

1/2 cup chopped onions

2 cloves garlic, quartered (optional)

2 tbsp prepared horseradish (optional)

After blistering skins, place peppers in a pan and cover with a damp cloth. Cool several minutes; peel off skins.

Mix all remaining ingredients in a saucepan and heat to boiling. Place 1/4 garlic clove (optional) and 1/4 teaspoon salt in each hot half-pint jar or 1/2 teaspoon per pint. Fill hot jars with peppers. Add hot, well-mixed oil/pickling solution over peppers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.

Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel. Adjust lids and process for 15 mins

Here is a link that might be useful: Source:USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning

Comments (18)

• malna
    11 years ago

Yes, this is one of a very few recipes that are safe using oil. Does make you stop and think, doesn't it?

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

Yes, it is due to the bottled lemon juice and vinegar that will keep it safe. Not all vegetables are safe to do this with, but peppers have been lab tested and are fine. The marinated mushrooms are also awesome !

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Everything from that source is safe.

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

It's not that oil is a no-no. It's that oil without testing by a reputable source is a no-no.

Carol

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I noticed that one of their recipes also had flour which I thought was a no-no.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

also had flour which I thought was a no-no.

It is except for the one or two extensively tested recipes.

Both are good examples of why you cannot safely generalize or extrapolate from one recipe to another. In other words, because this one recipe contains oil does that mean it is safe to add oil to other recipes? No. Same goes for flour.

Unfortunately, some folks do just that. Because they don't understand the relationship between ALL the ingredients in the recipe and the testing that was done, they argue that if flour or oil or noodles or butter or whatever is found in one approved recipe then it must be okay to add it to anything you wish. So very wrong.

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

This is a misapprehension we devote a lot of energy to correcting.

I remember the first time I saw the marinated peppers recipe (without attribution to a source) and emailed an Extension agent to get verification it was OK.

There are a lot of things you can do if you have the lab facility and the staff for testing and development.

Even then I know the USDA/NCHFP finally gave up on pumpkin butter (canned) because the pH and water activity varied so much from pumpkin to pumpkin they just could not develop a p.b. with sufficient levels of acid to assure safety in a boiling water bath, which is the usual mode of canning for that sort of thing.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

The flour was used in a few relishes, but now more than likely it will say Clear Jel instead in newer information.

• ellen_inmo
    11 years ago

Don't ya just love it when Dave and Carol say "yes this recipe is safe"????!!! Thanks for sharing. I will be doing this myself.

• nadjahs9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, ellen_inmo, I do love it (Linda and malna too!)! Some time in the future when I have some spare time (although with a small baby I don't think it will be any time soon!) I'd love to take a class to become more knowledgeable on this, but for now I am SO appreciative of everyone on here who answers seemingly endless questions on recipe safety.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

When Linda_Lou is online, she's the last word since she teaches canning courses and always has the most up-to-date information.

Thanks for the thanks ;)

Carol

• missrumphius
    11 years ago

If the processing time was extended would it be safe to can this in pint ,rather than half pint, jars?

Elaina

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Elaina, are you asking still about the marinated peppers?
    The recipe shows the time for pints and half pints, same number of minutes processing for either size.

Since it specifies pints, you may use the pint jars. If it hadn't mentioned both sizes, the answer would be no to using a larger size. You can always go smaller and use the same processing time in a recipe (don't decrease it to allow for a smaller jar), but not larger unless the size is stated as being OK....in this case it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marinated pepper recipe complete

• missrumphius
    11 years ago

morz8: Thank you - I missed that point entirely. I will use pint jars.

Elaina

• pqtex
    9 years ago

How does this recipe taste? What does it taste like? I would be making it with jalapenos (fairly mild ones).

Thanks,

Jill

• seysonn
    9 years ago

OLD thread .

I have a basic question :
    What is in/with cooking oil that make it "no no" or undesirable in jarring?
    Actually, you can heat oil to a much higher temperature (up to 400F) before adding it to any canning recipe. You cannot do that to anything else.
    They sell all kinds of canned foods in oil in the store. What is their magic bullet ?

• pqtex
    9 years ago

Yes, I know it's an old thread. I came across it when looking for ideas for canning my mild jalapeno peppers.

I was just curious about the flavor when made this way and posted my question to an existing thread on the subject rather than start a new topic.

Jill

• malna
    9 years ago

It's hard to describe, but the oil smooths the taste of the peppers. Sort of takes off that rough edge of "rawness", if that makes sense. Other types of peppers marinated in oil are popular in Italian neighborhoods on an antipasto plate or with Italian beef, on sandwiches, hot dogs, you name it - they eat them on almost everything, including pizza.

The pickled jalapenos would be good on nachos, in tacos, burritos, quesadillas and other Mexican foods. They are still vinegary, but I like the ones in oil better (I did until my stomach rebelled - I can't eat spicy peppers anymore).

Hope that helps.