Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I?

Posted by berrybusy (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 9:06

Can I use frozen lima beans in place of the fresh lima beans in Ball's 3-bean salad?

Usually I've waited until I can get fresh lima beans to make three bean salad, but I have a lot of green and wax beans right now and and the last jars of it went to my mom earlier.

Or, would there be a problem if I subbed fresh kidney beans for the fresh limas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball's pickled 3-bean salad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I?

No safety issues as long as you keep the amounts the same. The frozen ones may just go a bit softer.

Dave

o

If you prefer a firmer texture, just soak some dried beans, cook them until "al dente" and use in place of limas. I always keep 7-8 varieties of beans on hand and they're great for adding to recipes,especially if you pressure can.

o

I agree, no problems with your suggested substitutions. I have been planning to make more three ean pickled salad, I used the recipe from NCFHP and it takes oil, which I didn't like, I'll make them without next time. And I used kidney beans, I don't care for limas...

Annie

o

Can you still boiling water process the salad if you use the "par-boiled" dried beans as suggested by nosnowtn ? I looked up the NCFHP recipe, and it looks good. Have you tried it with the canned beans as suggested? Do they come out too soft?

o

I found using canned kidney beans you have to be careful to follow the USDA directions, adding them at the end, and not overly stirring them, otherwise I've already have the bean insides cook out and been left with nothing but red "husks" and a pulp that settles to the bottom of the jars. I prefer to use fresh when I am able.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here