Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oletimer

Tomatoes & Salsa

oletimer
9 years ago

The tomatoes around my area have late blight or septoria leaf spot, they say not to can the tomatoes from these plants,and eating them is questionable, so I have my onion & peppers all chopped and in the freezer to make salsa, my question is can I use store bought canned tomatoes to make a batch of Annie's salsa? I hate to take a chance of buying tomatoes not knowing if they had been infected, the infected ones (some of them) look nice on the outside but they were still infected. Sorry for the long post, Thank you

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Yes you can and many do. Bit of a different flavor but the end result is worth the added cost if you don't have good ones available. Or you can just use store-bought tomatoes rather than canned ones for even better results.

Dave

• oletimer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Dave, I went to our Farmers Market this morning and the only tomatoes i saw for sale were in quart baskets, $3.00 for about 5 tomatoes and some of them did not look real good, I live in the middle of the mitten of Michigan, I did talk to one person that had tomatoes and they said they lost about 3/4 of their tomatoes to late blight. I guess I will buy a couple cans of tomatoes and go that way, I had only planned on making 2 batches anyway.

• oletimer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave sorry I forgot to ask do I follow & add everything the same as I would if I were using the fresh tomatoes except just use the canned ones, still add the lemon juice & such?

• oletimer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave sorry I forgot to ask do I follow & add everything the same as I would if I were using the fresh tomatoes except just use the canned ones, still add the lemon juice & such?

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Yes, everything else just as the recipe calls for. While there may be citric acid already added to the canned tomatoes it isn't enough to compensate for all the other ingredients too so the vinegar or lemon juice (or lime) called for in the recipe is still needed.

Dave

• oletimer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave I made the salsa using the store bought tomatoes (diced)
    I followed the recipe, I did use the 16 oz tomato sauce but only one 6 oz. of paste, After processing and setting overnight the salsa in the jars look very thick, are they still okay? I also used the one cup vinegar. I also drained the tomatoes . Just need to know if it is okay before I make another batch, Thank you so much, you are a blessing I know when I read your answers I can feel confident that I am getting the correct information.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Yes it is safe it just doesn't have as long a shelf life and may darken more quickly. With the next batch don't drain so much. You can always drain off any excess liquid after opening the jars to eat but it is better to have more liquid going into the jars.

Dave

PS: thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated. :)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH