Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuntrygal

Is this okra safe?

KuntryGal
11 years ago

I am new to canning. I used to help my mother, but never was interested in learning about it back then. I wish I would have paid attention & learned now that she's no longer here.

Anyway, I have been trying to figure out a way to put some okra up so that it can be fried later..so that it isn't soggy & mushy.

In searching & searching the various ways (and someone had told my husband this as well), last week I "canned" some cut okra.

Now, reading about unsafe practices & all has me paranoid & I'm wondering if it's safe.

The brine was:

1 gallon water

2 T. Salt

6 T. Vinegar

Put this to boiling. Once boiling, add the cut okra & bring back to a boil & let boil for 6 minutes. Meanwhile, be simmering bands & lids & heating jars. After the 6 minutes, use a slotted spoon & fill the hot jars with the hot okra & then ladle the brine in the jars to cover the okra. Put the simmered bands & lids on and put on a folded dish towel & listen for the "ping" of the jars sealing as they cool.

Supposedly, when ready to use, you just drain the brine out, rinse it well, & batter & fry.

There was no mention of processing in a canner. All of the jars sealed. Is this a "false seal"?

I have no idea if this would even be mushy or not. The okra looks pretty firm....not as bright green & crisp as fresh from the garden (more of an army green), but doesn't look too soggy & mushy.

Is this considered safe enough, at least short term (a few months)? I thought maybe when using, rinsing, battering & the high heat of frying might kill anything? What do you think?

Is there any way to put up okra that is the closest to fresh okra for frying?

Comments (4)