Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cme1_gw

What to do with beet stems/greens?

cme1
9 years ago

I just pulled a pile of beets from my garden for pickling, and I'm just in love with these beautiful pink stems and dark green leaves. Other than using them in salads, does anyone have any creative ideas for these beauties (fresh, frozen, or canned?)

Comments (7)

• malna
    9 years ago

I freeze them. They go well with heartier foods like soups and stews, which we rarely eat in the summer.

I use the smaller, more tender leaves like spinach (beef/venison goes well with sauteed beet leaves as a side dish instead of spinach and they cook down like spinach does, so you use a lot). The stems and larger leaves I use when making borscht (beet soup). If they are not very tender, I use them for flavor in the meat stock and strain them out (or I just use my immersion blender to make a "creamier" borscht without the calories of sour cream).

Borscht freezes well, so we make a big pot and have it all winter. One of my favorites.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

We can ours. Just use the canning spinach and leafy greens instructions. Great in the winter added to soups and stews like malna said and mixed in with meat/vege casseroles. We also like them as just a mess of cooked greens as a winter side dish same as kale or collards.

Dave

• hawaiisam
    9 years ago

Here is our favorite recipe using the fresh greens and beets together.

Roasted Beets with Horseradish Cream
    Gourmet : November 1992
    Yield: Serves 6
    ingredients
    ⢠about 3 1/2 pounds beets including the greens
    ⢠2/3 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
    ⢠2 to 3 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh horseradish or drained ;bottled
    ⢠1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
    ⢠2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    ⢠1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
    preparation
    Cut the greens from the beets, leaving about 1 inch of the stems attached, and reserve the greens. Scrub the beets, wrap them tightly in 2 foil packages, and roast them on a baking sheet in the middle of a preheated 350ðF. oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until they are tender. Unwrap the beets carefully, discarding any liquid that may have accumulated in the foil, and let them cool until they can be handled. Peel and halve the beets and cut them into 1/4-inch slices.
    In a small bowl stir together the crème fraîche, the horseradish to taste, the zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Wash well and drain the reserved greens, in a large skillet cook them with salt and pepper to taste in 1 tablespoon of the butter over moderately high heat, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until they are wilted, and transfer them to a platter. In the skillet cook the beets with salt and pepper to taste in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over moderately high heat, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they are hot, and spoon them over the greens. Top the beets with the horseradish cream and sprinkle the cream with the chives and salt and pepper to taste

• cme1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yum, these are all great ideas, thanks!

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Anywhere you'd use spinach.
    I use them in frittata and also in greens over pasta with feta

Both the above recipes also contain onion and garlic, and any herbs you see fit to add. (mushrooms can be a good addition to either one, too.)

• cannond
    9 years ago

Like others here, I freeze all sorts of greens. But, I've been lightly blanching them first.
    After thawing, I squeeze out the liquid and do a fast, hot sauté with garlic and oil. Typically I finish with vinegar.

Do these really need blanching?

Deborah

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Blanching is recommended to neutralize the spoilage enzymes. You don't have to but they will store longer and in better condition if you do it.

Dave