Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuntrygal

Pickled Pepper rings NCHFP recipe..can I use quarts?

KuntryGal
11 years ago

I am new to canning & I want to make the Pickled Jalape�o Rings & the Yellow Pepper Rings on the NCHFP site. Both of those recipes calls for pints. I have A LOT of peppers & not enough pint size jars. Can these recipes be doubled & use quarts instead? What about processing time? Would it be doubled as well?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

No sorry but there is no computed processing time for using quarts. You can always reduce jar size when canning but you can never increase the jar size over what is called for.

And you likely wouldn't want to eat them if you processed them in quarts for the time that would be needed anyway as they would be quite mushy from the heat. :)

Most of us here with experience with these recipes (several discussions about them here) would recommend you use Pickle Crisp for both these recipes to retain the crispness. If you choose to use the pickling lime instead please note that several rinses with fresh water is very important to remove all the lime. If you have never worked with pickling lime before do so with care as it is very caustic - avoid inhaling it and avoid skin contact.

You can double the recipes but you must use pint jars. Since you have so many peppers I would also recommend freezing many of them for later use in cooking.

Dave

• KuntryGal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I do have both Pickle Crisp as well as Pickling Lime. How much Pickle Crisp do I need to put?

As far as freezing the peppers... Wash & slice them & just put them in a freezer bag?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

How much Pickle Crisp do I need to put?

Just follow the label instruction. It varies from brand to brand because of the particle grind sizes.

Depends on how you would use them the most. I freeze some whole for using that way when I want seeds and all in the recipe, slice some in half and de-seed them and slice some (thick slices).

Either way spread them out on a cookie sheet first to freeze and then put the frozen pieces into bags. That way they don't all freeze into a giant block and you can use as needed.

Dave

• KuntryGal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Where can I find an adjustment to the Jalapeno Rings recipe that doesn't use the Pickling Lime?

I really don't want to do all of those rinses & I don't have room in my refrigerator.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

There are previous threads discussing Pickle Crisp (calcium chloride) and its use in lieu of lime in pepper recipes.

I also wanted to add regarding peppers in quarts that with many recipes, the increased processing time for a larger jar would result in an inferior product. Sometimes the NCHFP/USDA limits the size to pints because testing has determined quality suffers with more heat. Safety is only one consideration for them (though obviously the most critical).

Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Where can I find an adjustment to the Jalapeno Rings recipe that doesn't use the Pickling Lime?

No such thing. Pickle Crisp is a jar additive. So all you do is just skip the pickling lime part of the instructions in the recipe and add the Pickle Crisp to each jar as directed on the jar label.

Dave