Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My mistake

Posted by luvncannin 7a-panhandle tx (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 9:40

Well I decided to try Annie's salsa. I do not care for hot food but I wanted a really spicy recipe for friends. As per recipe I used 1 3/4 cup total peppers using more jalapeno and chile than bell. It still isn't hot. so can I just recommend they add fresh jalapeno when they open it or do you know if it will get hotter as it sits? and
My neighbor said the jalapenos I am growing are really hot this year.
I like it ,my son said good flavor but not hot enough.
Also I am out of tomatoes and its 60 miles to town. So for this gift of canned goods it is what it is. Funny my pickles are way hotter than the salsa.
Thanks all
kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My mistake

Ok well I was reading yet another thread of Annies salsa and found that yea it does get hotter as it sits. I think I read 20 threads last night.
So do you think 2 weeks would be a good amount of time or longer?
kim

o

The longer the better. The underlying assumption in home canning is that the canned foods will not be consumed for some time - like months later - as that is the point of preservation, preserve now to use later when the produce is out of season.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't eat it now, just that it is a waste of time and effort and energy to can it if it is going to be eaten as in-season fresh produce. You might as well make it for fresh eating rather than canning.

So as a gift, give it but just tell them to save it to eat later for best flavor. And they can add whatever they want to it after opening the jar.

Dave

o

That's true for my personal storage. usually when I give as a gift they want to open now !
I think what I will do is stop on my way and pick up ingredients to fix fresh pico and tell them to hold off on the jars. Thanks Dave
kim

o

In Annie's recipe can you sub some cayenne pepper for the black pepper? Would that be safe? That can always be added after opening if they don't want to wait!

o

It is not a hot salsa recipe, if you follow the original recipe exactly. So I would tell your friends to add more hot peppers after opening, if they like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here