Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelelc_gw

summer squash instead of zucchini for breads?

michelelc
11 years ago

Does anyone know if I can substitute yellow squash for zucchini to make breads, muffins, ect? As an experiment, I planted 2 yellow squash at the end of June, fully expecting them to get hit by the squash vine borer, as they have in years past. But, to my surprise, they didn't. I did see one squash vine borer buzz by me in early July, and ran around my garden like a maniac, chasing it, and never got it, but I guess it didn't find my squash. Now, I have more squash than I can eat or give away, including a couple giant ones I neglected to pick in time. I'd like to use them in breads but have only seen recipes with zucchini.

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Yep, they are all the same thing, just different colors and different shapes.

Dave

• pqtex
    11 years ago

I routinely use my yellow squash in zucchini recipes. The squash bread is excellent. The loaves freeze well, so we have sweet treats even when squash is out of season. I was sort of out of luck this year...the oven bake element went out just about the time the squash came in. We only had one plant anyway, and our horrible heat this summer killed it off pretty early. I didn't manage to bake any squash bread this season, but I did get some squash in the freezer. Enjoy your squash bread!

Jill

• kai615
    11 years ago

I never plant zucchini, but substitute my squash into everything. I do make bread and muffins with it, but my absolute favorite crave it all year recipe is the cornbread casserole. I put a link below. We use pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar and always add a couple of ears worth of fresh corn cut off the cob. If you still have extra squash to use up, you should try it.

Here is a link that might be useful: zucchini cornbread casserole

• pqtex
    11 years ago

I definitely agree with the cornbread casserole. Wyatt's Cafeteria (might have been local chain?) used to serve a yellow squash dressing that was wonderful. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but do a search for Wyatt's Squash Casserole or Wyatt's Squash dressing and the recipe will come up. I've also substituted pepper jack for the cheddar at times, or did a combination. This casserole/dressing also freezes well, both cooked and uncooked, but I prefer to precook it so that it only needs to be reheated as long as it takes to get hot through and through. I buy disposable aluminum casserole pans for my freezer meals. So easy. I make several of these casseroles at one time, so the mess is only once! I love squash now.I used to order this at the cafeteria at a time when I didn't even like squash!

Jill

• michelelc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Now I just need to get out from under the pile of tomatoes I've been processing to find time to process other things!

• adingal_5
    7 years ago

Thank You for the help. I grow zuccini and squash. Oddly I grew them.close together and my squash was greenish. I looked into it thinking they was bad but have found that basically they innerbreado making the squash kinda green inside. This is great cause I can mix them both together. I froze a bunch.

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Squash will cross pollinate each other true. But any effects do not show up in the first season, only in the second season if you save seeds from those plants and grow them again.

So if you had greens that were supposed to be yellow it wasn't because you grew them close together.

Dave

• adingal_5
    7 years ago

Oh wow. The green is at the seed area

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Would need the name of the variety. Some yellow summer squash varieties are normally a pale green around the seed cavity (posting a photo would help) especially if they are over-ripe. What was the source of the seeds as you might have gotten some seeds that were cross-pollinated. Especially if these were seeds you saved yourself or got from a trade.

Dave

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists