Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yoshi4696

what kind of salt do i use for canning vegetables

yoshi4696
13 years ago

Good morning,

I am trying to search this site but I guess I am doin it wrong.

My question is there a certain kind of salt that I should be using when I add salt to my tomatoes and other vegetables.

I am going to can carrots and I have kosher salt and I also have salt sense.

Should I get something else?

Yoshi

Comments (14)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

You use canning salt, it is labeled as such and sold under several brands. Canning salt is what is called for in all canning recipes that include "salt" in the list of ingredients.

Dave

• yoshi4696
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have not seen that not even at walmart. So if I use any other salt
    Would it be a problem?
    Yoshi

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

Most any grocery store sells canning salt.
    I'm surprised your Walmart doesn't have it.
    It is common to find it in the normal spice aisle. Often on the bottom shelf. Mine is a green box made by Morton.
    See link below.

Other salts differ by weight. Regular table salt has anti-caking ingredients that can cause cloudiness.
    Try to find the canning salt. It's cheap.

However, if you cannot find it, there's no safety issue with using kosher salt, you may just find the results too salty or not enough.

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful:

• readinglady
    13 years ago

This does come up from time to time.

For fermentation canning and pickling salt is preferred because it's pure and because current approved fermented product recipes are "standardized" to the weight of canning and pickling salt.

If you wish to use other salts for recipes where it's only a matter of taste, not safety as it is with fermentation, you may.

Kosher salt (especially Diamond Crystal Kosher) is "lighter" per cup than canning and pickling salt, so for an equivalent taste you would need more. But again, some people prefer to cut back on salt in their canned goods anyway, and they certainly can do that.

However, if it isn't a pure salt (in other words the only ingredient on the box is "salt") then you may have some cloudiness in your pickling solution or there may be a slight aftertaste. (Whether that's noticeable or not depends on your tastebuds and the amount you use as well as the brand/type of salt.)

Canning and pickling salt is convenient. It isn't necessary. Even for fermentation I have used a pure Korean sea salt with great results; however, I'm experienced and I know salt weights. I wouldn't recommend a beginner use anything but canning and pickling salt for a fermented product.

Carol

• yoshi4696
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank u it was most helpful I am out now checking 2 walmarts and now a shoprite if I have to I will use kosher salt and just use a little more o less but I will check for as pur salt that I can find I might have to order it but thanks everyone,most helpful
    Yoshi

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

One problem that many have who say they can't find canning salt is because they are looking for it to be in a container like regular table salt. It isn't. Different brands come in round plastic jars or big square boxes. Google 'canning and pickling salt' to see pictures of the different brands so you know what you are looking for. I have posted pictures of all the various brands here in the past.

But it always turns out to be available. Everyone eventually finds it once they know what to look for. ;) It is used for many things besides canning so while a small mom & pop grocery may not have it, any large grocery store chain will carry it but you may have to ask management to find it.

As mentioned it is usually found in the spices aisle with the rest of the various types of salt but it is also carried in the canning supplies section if they have one.

Dave

• yoshi4696
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok thank you

• yoshi4696
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Funny now I found the Mortons canning salt. I couldn't find anything I found more than I need I am still at the 3rd walmart and I gueass what they say is true "third times a charm" Mortons is even cheaper than Mrs.Wages its $1.36 wow what a bargan thanks again
    Yoshi

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Dave is right. It can be disorienting because Canning and Pickling salt is not always packaged as you would expect or placed where you would expect.

Isn't it a relief to have found it?

Carol

• yoshi4696
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quick question,
    I will use my pressure cooker for the first time tonight and hot pack carrots and string beans.
    Can I pack them together or do they have to be seperate and also, when doing carrots alone can I add powder ginger and whole allspice and maybe a little splenda or small amount of sugar kind of like my moms gingered carrots, or maybe I can use fresh ginger next time since I don't have any in the house tonight, or maybe if I can use fresh I can wait till tomorrow for the gingered carrots. Did I confuse you hope not
    Yoshi

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I haven't found it yet though I've checked 3 Walmarts, 2 Stop and Shops, ShopRite, PriceRite, Big Y, IGA and a mom and pop place - specifically looking for the green Morton's box but I would take anything that said "pickling" or "canning" salt. I even asked for it at ShopRite yesterday. Next stop - Tractor Supply (though DD said they didn't have it, I'm not sure she looked when she went with Papa and she can't read too well yet). I told DH tonight (2nd Stop and Shop) that next year we'll plant pickling cukes and if I can't find any salt at TSC, I'll order it online.

I canned some dill pickles 2 weeks ago using noniodized salt (though it did have anticaking agent) and so far they look good.

• yoshi4696
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well after 2 walmarts the third one had the pickling salt then I was the looking at salt and I looked down and there it was in a box on the bottom next to ice cream salt and sea salt and it was only $1.36 maybe u should call them and ask or check again. If I knew what I was looking for before I went I bet I would have found it sooner but I stocked up. Where are u maybe I can send u some walmart in NJ where I got it had about 12 of them I picked up 4 let me know

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    12 years ago

Krogers sure does not have it. Checked twice... Only thing is Krogers "kosher salt" coarse. Bottom shelf. The blue Mortons Kosher salt box had an anti caking agent. None at all in canning supplies either. forget to check the dreaded Walmarts..... I avoid them like the plague....
    got to do something..... the peppers have been cut up since last night. and the Chinese long beans, green beans I picked last night.....still in basket on kitchen floor...waiting for me.....some in colander already snapped
    There were so many pickling mixes and additives by Ball and stuff in plastic jars... like pickle stuff...
    But there are probably so many added junk in them.
    Thanks
    jean

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists