Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Separation in Canned Foods

Posted by Marypei122 none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 10:07

Hi All,

I recently canned some salsa and noticed after the jars cooled that the water was separating. I know this is because I ran the tomatoes through a food mill BEFORE cooking them but my questions is... can I still store and eat the salsa later? Or does the separation pose a risk?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Separation in Canned Foods

There is no risk IF you used an approved salsa recipe. And the separation is normal. It also happens even if you mill them hot, just not as much.

The contents will settle and remix in time. Or before you remove the bands to store the jars you can even carefully invert the jars to remix after they are well cooled.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave!
The salsa recipe I used is approved for canning BUT in its chunky form. I decided to mill a batch because sometimes I like my salsa to be smooth. When it's canned in chunky form, I don't notice any separation.

Glad to hear that I can go ahead and store the milled salsa for later use (or else I was going to be eating a lot of salsa the next few weeks!)

o

approved for canning BUT in its chunky form. I decided to mill a batch

That changes the density so the processing time on the recipe wouldn't be sufficient. It is the same issue that arises with any low-acid vegetable or mixed vegetables - chunked is ok but pureed isn't approved because of the density and heat penetration issues it creates.

Freeze the milled salsa.

Dave

o
separation

I agree with Dave 100%! If you changed the way the recipe was prepared, it isn't the same recipe. Testing was done "as written".

There are recipes out there that include tomato sauce or paste for a smoother/thicker salsa that are tested. Annie's Salsa is one, Oregon State Extension also has one (very similiar). These yield a less watery product and have been tested!

When did you can it? Your original post just said "recently". If it's been several days, you may actually need to throw it out! It's underprocessed and could pose significant risk....is it worth it?

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here