Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiekatie_gw

I missed the vinegar:water pickling memo

katiekatie
9 years ago

Twenty years ago, I got married and received a Fannie Farmer cookbook. It's the only cookbook I own, and I have used it for all my cooking wants and needs. I simply refer to it as The Cookbook. (I'm not a creative cook, don't have a large home capable of housing a cookbook collection and really only garden, cook, and can because I like to assert a little bit of control over what I eat. I'm NOT a natural at this stuff and have only succeeded by sheer tenacity.) After making my usual dill pickle batch with a 1:2 vinegar to water ratio, I decided to try finding a new recipe for next weekend's batch-it only took 20 years for me to get tired of this one. That's when I discovered the newer 1:1 recommended ratio for vinegar to water. *sigh* I've been thinking about a new cookbook (I'm sure you can imagine what the only cookbook in my house looks like after 20 years), but now I am wondering if anyone here has a recommendation for a good all around cookbook that contains a nice section for canning. I don't want a separate canning bible, and I can now plan to check USDA site for any new safety guidelines before I start each canning season. I only pickle and jam, and I like very basic cooking that ties into the four food groups. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer