Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig & Onion Sauce Recipe

Posted by vacpl (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 10:19

This is my go-to forum for finding canning and freezing info and recipes, so I was hoping someone here might have a suggestion for me. I'll have a glut of figs again this year, and I'm looking for a recipe that I would be able to can (preferably) or freeze that is quite similar to Stonewall Kitchen's Vidalia Onion Fig Sauce.

Their ingredient list includes: Sugar, Apples, Figs, Balsamic Vinegar, Vidalia Onion, Soy Sauce, Cider Vinegar, Orange Juice, Mustard, Salt, Curry Powder, Spices

Any suggestions? I've spent a lot of time googling, too, and have come up with the 2 posted below, but I'm not willing to try pressure canning them because I"m not sure they'll be safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig Onion Sauce Recipes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig & Onion Sauce Recipe

As long as you freeze it you can use any recipe you want. The first one on your link sounds ideal.

But trying to make a cooking recipe into a canning recipe takes a lab for testing. Otherwise it is just guess work. No way to know how to process it, how long to process it, what the pH would be or the density, how the processing would affect the taste/texture, much less how safe it would be for shelf storage.

Dave

o

Thank you. I realize that, so I'm asking if someone has a suggestion for a canning safe one that is similar. :)

o

I have been canning habanero fig jam. It has onions, but in small quantities, so it is not quite the same. It is a jam, not a sauce. It is a big favorite around here though!

Can't wait for my figs to ripen. I have plenty of green beans, cucumbers and tomatoes to keep me busy right now though.

o

Oh, that sounds really good! Are you willing/able to pass on the recipe? I'd be shocked if I didn't have enough figs to make a batch. Lol.

o

Have you checked out the chutney canning recipes? Most all of them are various vinegar-based fruit and onion combinations with many of the other ingredients listed in your recipes linked above. Chutneys tend to be a little chunkier than sauces but they can always be pureed after opening.

I linked the ones from NCHFP below but the various canning books also offer many others.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Chutneys

o

vacpl, we anxiously await for the figs to ripen since we have been making this hab fig jam. Before that, we felt we had an excess (two large old trees) of figs. Now we don't have enough!

I will kick up the thread that has the recipe, I posted it here.

o

cabrita - thanks; got it! I'm not sure how I missed it in my previous searches.

Dave - A chutney is definitely a possibility if I can find something close. Thanks for mentioning it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here