Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveswoodcraft

Prepping tomatoes the day before canning

daveswoodcraft
11 years ago

I was wondering if I can prep my tomatoes one day, peel, seed, chop and drain my toamteos one and and store in the fridge overnight and then make the salsa the next day. By the time I get home in the late afternoon I have a hard time getting the whole process done on a work night. Will the texture change at all? covered tightly should not lessen the taste I would think

Thanks for your help

Dave

Comments (9)

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Generally it's not recommended to refrigerate tomatoes. They do soften and will definitely do so peeled. Taste may also change slightly.

However, sometimes fitting in canning with work schedules requires compromise. Even with some slight change in flavor and texture, I think you're going to find the home-canned product is miles better (and healthier) than what you'd buy commercially.

Tomato season is a bear because they come on in such large amounts and have to be done right now. I tried to schedule canning so that sauces and such could be prepped, cooked and pureed one night then refrigerated and processed the next evening, while products that benefit from freshness would be done on the weekends.

Regardless, you do what you have to do. The results will still be enjoyable and you can give yourself a pat on the back for what you've achieved.

Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I agree with all Carol said but I wouldn't drain them before refrigerating. There will be more flavor loss if you do. Drain them the next morning right before using.

And keep in mind that tomatoes can always be frozen if needed to make salsa and other stuff later. When thawed the skins come right off. I core mine first. Saves time and energy.

Dave

• hcoon
    11 years ago

If tomatoes soften if you refrigerate them, won't that apply to the frozen ones, too... maybe even more so?

I keep reading never to refrigerate tomatoes (because it will change the flavor, too), but there are lots of recommendations to freeze. Is there something I'm missing?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Not that either would taste like fresh sliced but then for cooking or canning that isn't the focus.

But there is a big difference between the effect that above freezing temps has on tissues and the effect of below 32 degrees. Above freezing temps allow for cellular osmosis and fluid evaporation while freezing seals the liquids in until thawed.

Plus there is all the benefits of time saved, convenience, etc.

Dave

• bb
    11 years ago

I'll process tomato puree up to 3 days before I make sauce,
    store the puree sealed in the fridge, never had any issues, I won't go longer than 3 days tho'. I usually puree Wed, Thu, Fri. then boil and can all day Saturday.
    I'll store about 18 quarts of tomato puree prior to the boil
    saves a lot of time on boil day. I have a 16Qt pot for sauce.

one nice thing with sauce in particular, after 2 days or so, the solids settle in the bottom of the container, pouring off to clear stuff at the top cuts down on boil time.

• hcoon
    11 years ago

So if I'm reading right, refrigerating may make change the texture, and while freezing may hold in juices, it may also break down cell walls, also making them a bit mushy.

For some people, neither might be a problem for salsas or sauces.

• tombug
    11 years ago

I would never "pouring off to clear stuff at the top".
    You would be pouring a tremendous amount of yummy flavor down the drain.

Cook it down and concentrate the yummy flavors!!!!!!

Larry

• ltilton
    11 years ago

This discussion brings up a question I've had for a while.

When I can tomato puree or juice, it always separates into three parts: pulp at the top, clear tomato water in the middle, then more pulp at the bottom.

There must be some difference in the two pulp layers. I wonder what it is.