Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
storing homemade sauerkraut

Posted by gardenswithducks z6aNC (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 10:29

Due to a large cabbage harvest I have made a lot of sauerkraut. I have been storing it the large canning jars I made it in, in the refrigerator but am running out of room. I don't want to can it. I wonder if I can transfer it to freezer bags and continue to store it in the refrigerator.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: storing homemade sauerkraut

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 11:16

Fully fermented? No more skimming needed? If so then yes but you will need to get all of the air out of the bags. But I'm not sure I would trust the seals on them to not leak over time if laying flat. Personally I'd freeze some of them since freezing doesn't kill probiotics.

Dave

o

I agree with Dave, if you have freezer room I'd freeze it. I can mine, only because my freezers are full of grassfed beef, homegrown pork, free range chickens and various wild game. If I had freezer room, though, I'd be freezing it.

Annie

o

We make lots of sauerkraut and freeze it. Freezing does not kill the probiotics.

I prefer to freeze it in my canning jars. It's a personal preference.

We had some sauerkraut given to us by a farmer who put it in a freezer bag, it leaked since the brine never fully freezes. But you could sure give it a try!

We put some kraut and some of the liquid in the jar, leave enough head space (at lease 1") for the kraut and liquid expand. They will leak if they are too full.

Since we started making our own sauerkraut a few years ago I think the family would riot if we showed up to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner without it!

I jokingly say that I'm going to give my brother's fiance a few pints of our sauerkraut for Christmas, it would probably be her favorite gift ;)

Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here