Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BWB alternative

Posted by tco517 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 10:31

I canned some pickles using the method described in the link below but I am having second thoughts now. Does this seem like a safe alternative to a boiling water bath? I did a 50/50 water/vinegar ration.

http://foodpreservation.about.com/od/Canning/a/How-To-Use-A-Pressure-Canner-As-A-Boiling-Water-Bath.htm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BWB alternative

Does this seem like a safe alternative to a boiling water bath?

Simple answer, no. Never tested and sure never approved.

The author says in the article that it is a deviation from the standard approved process so that answers your question right there. Who can know why she chooses to encourage people to use unapproved practices, but why would any one do it when she says it isn't the accepted norm?

Notice that the last instruction above is different from the usual boiling water bath instructions. For regular boiling water bath canning in an open pot you must cover the jars completely with 1 - 2 inches of water above the lids.

A PC can be used as a BWB canner, many do, but the jars still have to be covered with 1-2" of water or you can end up with air still in the jars and a weak seal.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: the article link

o

I wonder who tried to come up with that ? NO, not safe, just as Dave said and for the reasons he said.

o

The only canning procedure I know of that fills a water bath up to the neck of the jars is from Oregon State Extension. It's canned walnuts, so basically it uses a BWB to vacuum-seal the jars, nothing else.

Personally, I can't even see much advantage to the method other than saving a few cups of water. Why not just do a regular boiling water bath and avoid the worry?

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here