Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty57_gw

Re-canning tomatoes

patty57
10 years ago

After inspecting my pt jars of canned tomatoes going through the process 3 days ago, I notice that the space between liquid and lid is a good inch now. At the time of preparation, the space was approx 1/4" when filled and poked a knife in the jar to relieve any air bubbles. This has not happened to me before and was wondering if I can re-can these few jars/5? Obviously, something wrong with the canner's method! [ : Can I open the 6 jars that were canned a week ago and re-can them?

Another question ... PC method/raw packed - if the separation of tomatoes to the top and clear liquid to the bottom of jars after canning process is complete and possibly due to the heating process prior to getting to the correct lb reading on gauge, how can one avoid this issue of seperation? I am trying out a new PC this year - 16 qt Presto. Only doing 6 pint jars. It takes a very long time to get to the 11lb reading I need. I place the jars in the PC when the water is just becoming warm on the burner. I then close the lid and monitor till the appropriate reading is achieved. 11lbs for 15 minutes.

I have not done the boiling water method in about 25 years and maybe I should give it a try again. Suggestions of steps would be appreciate.

Thank you for your time,
patty in NC

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Hi patty -

and was wondering if I can re-can these few jars/5

You could if they were less than 24 hours old but even then it wouldn't necessary and is recommended against in the guidelines The jars are safe and the worst that happens is the food above the liquid may discolor a bit.

It is the result of 2 things: 1)raw packed foods absorbing some of the liquid (hot pack works better) and 2) some possible siphoning due to pressure fluctuations during processing.

if the separation of tomatoes to the top and clear liquid to the bottom of jars after canning process is complete and possibly due to the heating process prior to getting to the correct lb reading on gauge, how can one avoid this issue of seperation

Can't avoid it all as it is a natural response of tomatoes. But again hot pack method eliminates most of it. It poses no threat to the food safety or quality. it is just an appearance issue and over time the separation disappears. Trying to eliminate it is one reason why most prefer using the Crushed Tomatoes instructions when canning tomatoes plain.

It takes a very long time to get to the 11lb reading I need. I place the jars in the PC when the water is just becoming warm on the burner. I then close the lid and monitor till the appropriate reading is achieved. 11lbs for 15 minutes.

I suggest a review of the step-by-step PC instructions provided by NCHFP on Using Pressure Canners as it sounds as if you are leaving out the venting process and putting the jars in to soon while the water is still not up to 180 degrees.. Time required to come up to pressure is controlled your stove, not the canner.

till the appropriate reading is achieved. 11lbs

So you are using a gauge canner, not weights? Not ideal. Trying to keep a gauge, which aren't all that accurate and require annual testing, pegged at 11 lbs. usually leads to to much heat adjusting and the siphoning mentioned above.

Suggest you buy the 3 piece weight set for your canner as most do and use the weights rather than the gauge.

If you want to go back to using BWB for canning tomatoes you can use the 16 qt. PC as a BWB canner for pints (not deep enough for quarts). You just cover the jars with 1-2" water and set the lid on the pot loosely (do not lock and do not put on the counter weight).

Hope this helps.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I have also asked the question regarding the 'water' in the tomatoes. I have found that cooking the tomatoes before putting in jar SOMETIMES helps that. Otherwise, just pour the 'water' out when you open the jar. (don't shake or stir the jar, makes it harder to separate the water out).

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

I am not sure you processed them long enough. 15 min. ? Is this for plain packed tomatoes, no water or anything added ? You need to really check the instructions as many people are trying to process for the ones with added WATER to each jar. If you did not do these following things, they will not be safe at all to eat. Please check a current reliable resource to be sure your processing time is long enough.

Are you venting the canner for a full 10 min. before the counterweight goes on ? If not, then your tomatoes are unsafe. Did you get your dial gauge tested before use ? If not, you do not know if it is accurate. They can be off by as much as 4 lb. right out of the box. We test many new gauges that are bad.

The water in the canner should be 140 degrees for a raw pack food, 180 degrees for a hot packed food before the jars go in.

Are you adding the required bottled lemon juice to each jar ? Both pressure canned and water bath canned must have bottled lemon juice added.

Plus, metal knives should not be used in the jars. Only a plastic bubble freer, or something like a chop stick, etc. should be used. Using metal will weaken the glass and it can break.

You are not leaving proper headspace.

We have found that the crushed tomato method from the Univ. of Georgia winds up being the best product. I use a pressure canner.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I suppose it all depends on how you plan to use the tomatoes when you open the jar ie. chop them for salsa or use them for cooking. But I would never pour that "water" out.

It is juice from the tomatoes, nutrients, and flavor so we always stir or lightly shake and pour it all in when making chili or spaghetti sauce or scalloped tomatoes/casseroles/etc.

Many have noted that it makes an excellent soup base if nothing else or a quick good drink when chilled. But then I never use the "canned whole or halved with added water" instructions anyway when all the other options are such a higher quality.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I personally don't like the 'water' is the reason I pour it out. Only a personal preference. I realize that it has nutrients in it, but if the taste of it makes you sick, doesn't matter.

I don't add water to any of my tomatoes, just use the juice that they create themselves. I use my tomatoes for chili and almost nothing else. We eat alot of chili, at least 1x per week in the cooler months.

• patty57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for information requested. DAVE..I have viewed this page:
    http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_03/tomato_crushed.html

plan to do the BWB procedure. Using pints I plan to boil for 35 minutes per Table 1 Recommended process time for Crushed Tomatoes in a boiling-water canner. 1-1000 ft.

since my canned jars are showing about 1" air at top, hopefully these canned tomatoes are still ok to use? The tops are indicating a good seal when pushed on them. Plan to go back to my weighted PC at some point. The finished process always came out well. Thought I'd try something new, but as some members said...I must be doing something wrong with the gauged PC.
    Thank you again to all the responses.

Patty

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

showing about 1" air at top, hopefully these canned tomatoes are still ok to use?

Yes. As long as the seal remains intact they are fine.

Dave