Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatcompostguy

Alternate wide mouth lids?

thatcompostguy
11 years ago

We know Classico, Duke's Mayo, and a host of other lids fit standard size canning jars. I know, not for canning, just storage, etc, etc. Are there alternative wide mouth lids from commercial jars that I might have been missing? I know about Ball's plastic storage lids and have some I found on sale cheap. But 8 new plastic storage lids are almost as expensive as 12 rings and domes. And yes, I do have used rings and domes to use. Just wondering if there were other lids that would work that I hadn't noticed before. Wide mouth. Thank you.

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

The cheapest is just to use a used lid and a band (which most of us have tons of). That way you don't need anything extra.

I never reuse lids for canning but as we open and use a jar of canned food we just wash the lid, mark it with an X on top, and toss it into a spare drawer. Keep a few bands in that same drawer and you have all you need for storage jar capping.

If you don't have much canned food and are just looking for storage options then just buy a box of lids (and/or bands) if you need them too.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I can see them changing the Classico jars (b/c they don't want us reusing jars, probably don't care about the lids), but plastic MW jars? Why would the company have a problem with people reusing the lids?

I think I saw somewhere that Ball is changing its plastic lids to make them watertight now, so when you open a jar of pickles (or just put fermented ones in fridge) and they get knocked over it doesn't make a mess...

• ellen_inmo
    11 years ago

Great idea Dave, marking the lids like that. That would certainly come in handy when its that time of year for the kids to chase lightning bugs. I always send off my commercial jars to the recycling center, so there is never any sitting around. The kids always use my canning jars (only one jar for each kid all summer) and have been giving them brand new lids to poke holes in. I never would have considered saving the old lids, as I dont want them getting confused with new ones. Very good idea!

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

Definitely check the mayo(or Miracle Whip) jar lids for wide mouth options. Some fit, some don't. I also like the plastic lids for storage, especially pickles that tend to rust the metal ones due to all the vinegar. I don't mind buying them since I can reuse them forever. You might try poking hole in a couple of the white plastic ones for the kids bug jars. Could even write their name on the lids with a permanent marker.

Deanna

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I always write the date and contents on the lids after they're cool and dry so no problem telling the used lids from the new LOL. The used lids are great for keeping dust, bugs, etc. out when storing the jars.

• thatcompostguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have noticed that about the newer style mayo lids. I'm a Duke's fan, so I never really tried the Kraft brand until I saw one with cracked pepper in it. Nice! I like that size jar as well for some dry things like sunflower seeds and other things that come in clam shell containers in the produce section. So i just keep both that lid and jar.

• rockette3
    6 years ago

I wouldn't know if Miracle Whip gets rancid or not. I can't get that plastic lid off that plastic jar no matter how hard I try. I had my neighbor (athletic and very strong) and he couldn't get that lid to budge. Finally tried a pipe wrench and the lid cracked and I had to peal the lid off the jar. I bought another jar and had the same issue. If the food company can't make a lid that will come off the jar why should I trust the product in the jar.

• Kayla Mullins
    5 years ago

I know this is late. And im not sure what your using them for. But i make a lot of diys and one of my favorites are mason jar diys. I have found that for my soap, sanitizer, and lotion dispensers if i get the lid off of my sons formula containers, cut the right size hole, and paint it it works perfectly no rust. Like i said idk what your needing them for. BUT if anyone else stumbles this way looking for alternatives for dispensers here ya go mommas. :)

"I knew those formula containers that my hubby got so annoyed at me hoarding would come in handy one day."