Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roasted red pepper spread question

Posted by ahbee01 z5 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 10:44

I am making this to enter into our local fair, and am very excited because there is nothing like it in the entries option! The ladies at the fair board had to help me find a category to enter in in! Even considered next year to open more categories! Yay! That being said, I was wondering if any one used a few hot red peppers to give it some zip, and would that be a safe option? If not can you give me some ideas how to add the zip after opening,and what you use your spread for! We spread it on toasted cheese and had it on burgers! Please give me your ideas! Thanks Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roasted red pepper spread question

We really enjoy this spread and use it like bruschetta or on those little, crispy bagel rounds you can buy at the deli. Of course, it works with the ubiquitous crackers and cream cheese, and it's smashing on a turkey or ham sandwich.

In fact, one of my favorite ways to use it is on a veggie sandwich.....croissant spread with soft cheese, cucumbers, red onions and roasted red pepper spread. Life is good.

Deborah

o

P.S. I think you can use hot chilies as long as you keep the ratios the same. Perhaps one of the master canners can elaborate. You could always throw in some dried, crushed red pepper.

Deborah

o

Thanks you sandwich sounds yummy! Crushed red pepper flakes is what I was thinking, but I also have some different hot peppers so was thinking of trying some of them, but don't want to have something that is unsafe!

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 10:27

Sure, you can use any type of pepper you want. The pH scales don't differentiate between sweet or hot - they do, however, list green peppers separately (slightly higher/less acid).

o

Ok, cool! Has anyone tried using different kinds of peppers for the spread?(thanks)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here